Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Genealogy

Notices

Advice on Tracing your Family Tree

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5th February 2008, 21:29

Babz, this topic was not started to score points off anyone... my reasoning for starting it was to put forward for discussion what I considered to be a reasonable approach to people starting to research their family tree. I do admit that I read a certain child's (not that I realised he was a child at the time) great guide and thought it wasn't very good (and yes, that is me putting it very mildly). So the way I see it is this topic should not be merged with any other. However, the two topics started by the child definitely should be as they are about exactly the same thing and therefore would be considered spam!

As for me telling georgekidd to butt out... maybe I should have done that in person (and next time I will! )
Old 5th February 2008, 22:08

Babz
I don't think anyone here realised that Ryan was a wee laddie when the stooshie first started.
Old 5th February 2008, 23:09

erm keep me out of the arguements I was only sticking up for Ryan against you lot....
Old 6th February 2008, 01:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babz View Post
I go away for a few days and come back to see the same two posters sniping at each other all over the place

I think I am going to have to put you in a room together to sort out your differences

Instead of having a go at each other whenever you can why don't you try and work alongside each other.

A better comment from Ryan would have been..........although I do not agree with all you have said you do
have some good points in your post, and then added some points of your own !!

Also if comments are going to be quoted please copy the whole comment...

Another thing.....telling someone to 'butt out' is not good !!

I can see all posters in this thread are strong people......their ideas are good but please work together.

I have not had time to read anymore of the threads concerning Family Trees but will do so as soon as I
can, I have a feeling that you are both doing your own threads to score points off of each other....if
this is the case I will consider amalgamating threads and you can either work together or not(as the case may be).

Multiple threads on the same thing is SPAM !!!!

If SS and Ryan have issues I suggest that they take them to mail and failing that ask for admin help
because all this sniping and name calling has to cease !!
Yeah, but, I already said that I had stopped.

And what's with "child" and "wee laddie" that makes me feel like a shy little two-year old, plus it's degrading!

Anyways, I must be on my way now.

Regards,
-Ryan-
Old 6th February 2008, 08:04

At 13, that's what we would call you 'a wee laddie'.
Old 6th February 2008, 08:37

Now that all the bickering is out of the way I am going to repeat my first post in this topic. If anyone has any further suggestions then feel free to add them...

I'm not proclaiming to be an expert on this subject, but I think a topic where advice can be offered on how to trace your family tree (as opposed to finding specific members of your family) would be worthwhile! What I offer below is some of the steps I have used and anyone that has tried different methods (or even know of other sites) could put forward what has worked for them!

Anyway, step 1 for tracing your family tree is to talk to as many members of your family as you can. The reasons for this are:

1. who knows your family better than your own family;
2. some of the records you need (e.g. birth, marriage and death certificates) might be held by one of your family members;
3. someone in your family may already have started doing some research and their notes may prove useful (or it could give you another direction to follow).

The next step is to note down EVERYTHING and start to build a basic tree. The simplest way to do this is to use good old paper and pen/pencil... there is no need at this early stage to resort to any fancy computer systems, but if you do a basic word processing tool (like notepad) and a spreadsheet will be sufficient. (You might even be able to download a family tree template for the spreadsheet depending on which one you use; you certainly can for excel!)

Once you have the above it might be worthwhile choosing a branch of your family to concentrate on; if you get stuck somewhere along the way you can then start on another branch and return to your original branch at a later time. Also, while searching for relatives, try not to stick to the one spelling of a name - especially as you go further back in your research!

Once you have traced back a few generations (probably at least to your great grandparents) you'll be ready to use other resources available, such as record offices (like the General Register Office in Scotland). You can also check out various genealogy websites/forums, but be aware that there may be a cost to retrieving some information AND always double check what you get! Some of the sites I have personally used (with varying levels of success) are as follows:

* Official government source for Scottish genealogy, census and family research - ScotlandsPeople
* Family Search
* Genes Reunited
* Genealogy and Family History Records - Ancestry.co.uk

There are plenty more sites out there, some of which are specific to a particular name. Where the sites have forums, ask questions... but always be polite as people generally won't respond to rudeness or arrogance (at least not in a helpful way). Also remember that some of the info you might be looking for can only be found at a cost, so don't expect anyone to do any free research on your behalf.

During all your research probably the main point is taking notes... and lots of notes! And try to avoid my one main downfall... messy handwriting that even you can't understand!

Further suggestions can be found on Family History Scotland and the BBC's tips on starting your research!
Old 6th February 2008, 11:53
Super Moderator

Have to say my dad started our family tree using the old pen and paper, when he got more
computer literate he copied it all onto his computer, he also uses the census disks of which he has quite a few!!
He found that Brothers Keeper was the best thing to store it on and now the rest of the family
have a copy and use it to update their families

PS....There is a guy near me about 85 years old calls everyone 'young laddie' to him they are young