Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Genealogy

Notices

Blacklock

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 6th August 2006, 19:27

Blacklock

Hi I am tracing two families. One is Thomas C. Blacklock who was born 15th May 1804 in Ecclefechan, he married Jane Cock who was born in Dumfresshire but I have no specific location. It is family tradition that there were four brothers who came to Canada sometime after 1833.

I have three names Thomas, William and James. But I only have Thomas's history. Thomas had around 13 children. Five or more of these may have been born in Scotland, some are born in Canada but at some time Thomas and his wife went to the US. But not all his family went and some ended up in Nassagawaya Twp of Halton Co. Ontario.

Thomas's last son, or I presume he was the last son's name was James Carruthers Blacklock born near Kingston On. but died in the US. His wife was Jane Bruce. I am wondering where the Carruthers came from in this family.

Thomas was my husband's Great Great Grandfather.

The other Blacklock family I am searching is John Carruthers who married Janet Blacklock the heiress of Albie. In order to inherit that estate, the Blacklock name had to be kept and some of their children were Carruthers and some were Blacklocks. There was twelve children in this family. Here too some of them came to Canada

John and My Great Great grandmother were brother and sister and their parents were John Carruthers of Howcleugh and Janet Schoolar.

One of John Carruther's sons became Assistant post master of Toronto.

Does anyone know of these families or are relations of them.