Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Genealogy

Notices

Pinkerton's in Scotland

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21st November 2004, 22:05

Question

I am looking for family in Scotland. Or someone to help me to verify information I have put together from other family members, plus any more information that can be found on my family.
I would really like to get to know any family in Scotland.

I will gladly share any information that I have on the family once they came to America.

I know that my 5th great grandfather David Pinkerton was born 26-Jan 1725 in Abbey, Renfrow, Scotland. I beleive he was baptized 28-Jan 1725 in the same location he came to the U.S. because he married in Bucks County PA. in 1757 and died in NJ in 1781. His occupation school teacher/merchant.

His father was David Pinkerton born 1-Jan 1686 in Abbey,Renfrew, Scotland baptized 10-Jan 1886 and he married Mary Risk in 1721 (I do not have a date or location of his death)(I do not know what his occupation was).

His father was John Pinkerton born ?? 1648 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland Baptized 15 Oct at Edinburgh Parish his occupation was a weaver. He married Margaret Lennox in Abbey Renfrew Scottland 27 Nov 1674. He Died in Abby,Renfrew.
His father Johne Pinkertoun born ?? 1620 Little Pinkerton, East Lothian, Scotland. Married Jonet Arbuckle ?? 1647 in Midlothian, Scotland
Old 9th October 2005, 18:44

Pinkerton Family History

We have the same ancestors. John, John, David, David, James and Mary Foster Pinkerton, David and Celia Barnes Pinkerton, Wiley Estes Pinkerton and then Riley Estes Pinkerton. Give me your email address and I will be glad to share what I have.

Julie Pinkerton
Old 9th October 2005, 19:35

You do realize that "family" in Scotland would be so far removed by the five generations as to hardly be any relation, don't you?

I hope i'm not being rude but i just want to point out if you find them, i hope you won't approach them like a long lost cousin coming back to the fold. They are not obligated to you in the least and such an expectant approach might offend.
Old 29th June 2006, 20:03

Question Grandmother was a Pinkerton

Some of the Pinkertons you were speaking of ended up in Palmyra, IL. Which is where my grandmother Mildred Pauline (Pinkerton) Mayes now lives. I have found quite a bit of information on the Pinkertons, but it does not totally match yours close, but not quite I need to do more research. My grandmother knows much of this information. One thing I did notice is you spelled Johne Pinkertoun with a u is that correct or a typo? That might help with reseach to know it was spelled differently!
Old 28th January 2010, 23:37

Glasgow Pinkertons.

Silentlady, apart from the Pinkerton of the Detective agency who came, I think, from the Gorbals, Glasgow, there was the family of four brothers who had a large rhubarb farm at Hogganfield, one of them, George, was a fighter pilot in WW2 and shot down the 2nd? German plane of the war over the Forth, the family originated in Rutherglen, where they were nurserymen. The farm is now a housing estate and the Pinkertons, mansion, Hogganfield House, is an old folks home. The last member of that family there, Miss Pinkerton, died last year. A retired teacher, she taught yours trully! I believe the family of another of the brothers farms at Houston,Renfrewshire, still in the rhubarb business. I,ve heard conflicting stories as to whether these Pinkertons were related to the detective.
wullie m.
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:29

Pinkerton Family Update for Silent Lady

I found more information about the Pinkerton Family. I was wondering how you found the information you had.

My email address is jpw058@hotmail.com