Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Family and Parenting

Notices

child and parent parking spaces

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th January 2006, 20:56

child and parent parking spaces

are'nt they not just the best. a godsend when busy or harassed. brilliant. always near the entrance.
Old 11th January 2006, 00:56

And tough luck on anyone else who is "busy or harassed", I suppose.

I don't know if we have that around here, but it sounds pretty annoying. Still, if it allows all the children to get into the shops or whatever, the better to be noisy and in the way, and make other people feel quite legitimately "harassed", oh that must be fine, then.

Grrrr!
Old 11th January 2006, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbarneth
are'nt they not just the best. a godsend when busy or harassed. brilliant. always near the entrance.
Hi. Fine subject for a first post this!

No, there are purely a market-driven concept, "Family-Friendly" is a big thing in retail marketing just now. Based on some spurious American psychological construct called "Mom-Time" as well as research that suggests that shopping with kids makes you more prone to impulse & pressure buying.

If they had "Wadgem-Spaces" for above average spenders, that at least would be more honest.

Another hint is that parking a little bit away from the doors & a stroll, for an able-bodied person/family makes the whole experience a good bit less pressurised.
Old 11th January 2006, 16:03

i agree with both of you. i do not have children but always make a point of using these spaces. a crazy woman in largs safeway shoutd at me one day cos i used a child/parent space-i was eating my lunch and reading the paper. she looked very 'busyworkingmum' harrassed. i told her i was going to meet my mum. that shut her up.

have you ever noticed that parents always escribe themselves (in one word) 'busyworkingmum/dad' patronising idiots.
Old 11th January 2006, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbarneth
i agree with both of you. i do not have children but always make a point of using these spaces. a crazy woman in largs safeway shoutd at me one day cos i used a child/parent space-i was eating my lunch and reading the paper. she looked very 'busyworkingmum' harrassed. i told her i was going to meet my mum. that shut her up.

have you ever noticed that parents always escribe themselves (in one word) 'busyworkingmum/dad' patronising idiots.

Actually, taking up a useful parking space merely for the purpose of "eating my lunch and reading the paper" doesn't sound too good either.
Old 11th January 2006, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogofish
If they had "Wadgem-Spaces" for above average spenders, that at least would be more honest.

haha, yes indeed. Or spaces marked for "idiot driving great big vehicle that is possibly useful for serious out-of-city driving but in fact just pointless for a quick trip to Tesco. That would work too.

My own pet hate (not so much about supermarket car-parks but about normal streets) is the people who obviously find it intolerable that they should have to park the car and even actually *walk* for two minutes to go to the bank machine or a shop or whatever. Solution? Simple. Just park on the street, remembering, much of the time, to leave the engine running just to gain more black marks. Yes, that's really good: it causes inconvenience for other drivers, for pedestrians, in fact for everyone apart from this self-important eejit.
Old 11th January 2006, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn
Actually, taking up a useful parking space merely for the purpose of "eating my lunch and reading the paper" doesn't sound too good either.
have you ever tried to park in largs. it was the best space available for quick access to the latrine.