Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Family and Parenting

Notices

Sex Ed in school

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 28th September 2005, 14:25

Sex Ed in school

My 12 yr old Daughter is currently studying sex in science! Now someone tell me what this has to do with science? Other than the way our parts work. She had to carry an egg around with her for a week, if it was cracked or damaged in any way at the end of the week, they would get a low grade at the end of the grading period. Shouldn't sex ed be considered part of a health class? When I think my daughter is mature enough to understand the ways of adults, I will tell her what she needs to know.
Old 1st October 2005, 05:43

well knowing the biological side of it seems pretty important. Of course the health side could be part of it or not. But I'd rather have the kinds of teachers that I had in science class instead of the ones I had for gym/health talking to my kids about it...
Old 3rd October 2005, 15:13

Send a message via AIM to mstink Send a message via MSN to mstink Send a message via Yahoo to mstink
Exclamation

I am a teacher and I understand your concerns. I teach kindergarten, so of course we do not get into sex, but boy do I hear a lot from them. Some of them hear it from older siblings and on tv and they say the correct words but do not know the meaning.

I hope what I am about to say does not offend or upset you.

Many children are having sex or experimenting with sex by the age of 12. We have had some 6th graders who have been suspended because they were caught in the bathroom. Luckily, we have never had pregnant 6th graders but it does happen. It is very unfortunate, and distressing to think about but it is a fact. I think when I we were growing, sex ed was to teach us about puberty and what happens to your body. I think now, it is ia precation to teach children about protection and how to stay disease and pregnancy free.
Old 7th October 2005, 02:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstink
I am a teacher and I understand your concerns. I teach kindergarten, so of course we do not get into sex, but boy do I hear a lot from them. Some of them hear it from older siblings and on tv and they say the correct words but do not know the meaning.

I hope what I am about to say does not offend or upset you.

Many children are having sex or experimenting with sex by the age of 12. We have had some 6th graders who have been suspended because they were caught in the bathroom. Luckily, we have never had pregnant 6th graders but it does happen. It is very unfortunate, and distressing to think about but it is a fact. I think when I we were growing, sex ed was to teach us about puberty and what happens to your body. I think now, it is ia precation to teach children about protection and how to stay disease and pregnancy free.
You're right, it is important to be straightforward about it. Kids listen better when you're direct and honest...actually everyone does.

But I think that things aren't really worse for children than it used to be. Perhaps in some ways it is, but in some ways it's better. There are more teachers and neighbors and family members looking out for problems that used to be shoved under the rug 40 years ago.
Old 7th October 2005, 19:51

Send a message via AIM to mstink Send a message via MSN to mstink Send a message via Yahoo to mstink
Quote:
Originally Posted by skookie
But I think that things aren't really worse for children than it used to be. Perhaps in some ways it is, but in some ways it's better. There are more teachers and neighbors and family members looking out for problems that used to be shoved under the rug 40 years ago.
That is definetly true. We may be shocked if a teen we know becomes pregnant but they are not ostersized like they were years ago. There are many prevention programs dealing with the problems we have today and they are very open. It is important to be open with children when it comes to all things in life, drugs, alcohol, sex, etc. If we (parents and loved ones) teach them they are much more likely to listen and ask questions. I was always given the oppportunity to talk to someone one else (aunt, older cousins, etc) in the family if I was uncomfortable with talking to my mom. That in itself helped me ask questions, that I was embarassed to ask my mom.
Old 18th October 2005, 04:51

I agree that kids need to be taught; however, I also believe in maintaining some semblance of innocence for them, too. Teaching 12-year-olds the nuances of sex???? Ah, that seems a bit young, doesn't it?????
Old 18th October 2005, 16:56

I agree that 12 is very young to be talkingabout sex, but in reality, girls are getting their periods earlier, my cousin is 9 and she just got hers. I was 14 when I got mine. That means that if she has sex, she can get pregnant at 12 and there are 12 yar olds who are pregnant in elemantary school and middle school. I can't honestly say it is because no one taught them precautions, but it just might because of that. Children grow up too fast these days! But, I still think we shoudl prepare them for what is lying ahead in the future.