Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Family and Parenting

Notices

Sex Ed in school

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 24th April 2007, 05:09

I heartily agree with you, Peter_Martin. For quite some time I struggled with whether or not to discuss sex with my 9-year-old daughter. Have read some very thoughtful, good-sense replies to this thread. Also, I work for a doctor and quite some time ago, a former co-worker and I were discussing this very issue with him. He had delivered babies earlier in his career and he told us that he remembered delivering from a 12-year-old girl. He said that, unfortunately, in today's society, we can't afford to allow our children the innocence for as long as they used to be able to have it, because (as has been shared many times in this thread) they learn so young these days. So, I've gone ahead and taught her the basics, including the why's and why-nots of it all (age-appropriately, of course), using some very good Christian books on the matter. I'd much rather have her knowlege of the subject come from me instead of the media, the playground, etc. She will have to make her own decisions about sex when she's older, which is kind of scary to be honest, but am grateful that she'll have a solid foundation regarding it.
Old 7th May 2007, 23:54

I think that for children of under 11 years it is best that the parents or a trusted aunt/uncle discuss these things. I know from my own childhood that being taught very basic things by my parents made it all seem less awkward to try and discuss things with my parents when I got a little older.
Old 29th July 2007, 05:09

Send a message via MSN to Fay
I don't think 12 is too early. I was 12 when I went through sex ed and i alreayd knew everythign they were telling me... and then some.. I use the word some lightly. Granted i grew up with a sister who was 7 years older, who took me everywhere. So i learned pretty quick. But I think 12 is a good age. The fact is Kids are growing up way, way faster these days. I think that Grade 7, age 12, is the perfect time for them to learn. That way when they get into high school they wont be pressured or confused by anythign that's going on. Beucase truthfully speaking, tehre are pregnant 14 year olds at highschools. And there are kids caught having sex in bathrooms.. And there are many, many more sex related things going on in and around school. I think it's important for kids to know whats going on. So they can avoid it.

Would you rather have your kids educated honestly, or confused and put into situations where they become vulnerable becuase of their lack of knowledge?

It happens, how many stories have you heard over the years of teen pregnancies due to ignorance?

I don't think 12 is too early at all. But thats just me.
Old 1st September 2007, 09:22

Thumbs up

I agree. My daughter started puberty at 10 so I felt the need to discuss these issues with her from an early age. I found lots of resources on the internet that were really useful as its always such a sensitive subject. The best one I found was a cd rom called "Growing up and keeping safe" which covered lots of issues like puberty and internet safety. I then brought the next version for older kids called "Sex and relationships" >They were both great and would thoroughly recommend them to all parents.