Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Family and Parenting

Notices

Sex Ed in school

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 28th December 2005, 21:04

This is mainly a response to the first post. Some of what I am saying here has been said by others but I feel the need to repeat it. Note: I will put ages in brackets since many of you seem to be from outside Scotland and so wont be used to the education ages and equivelents)

I am currently in 6th year in Secondary school (17 years old and 6th year is the last possible year of original schooling) and to be honest I thikn there should be a massive overhaul in how children are taught sex education and when they are taught it.

We started learning about sex education in Primary 7 (about 11-12 year olds) and for many of us, this started too late considering that many of us had already hit puberty and were told nothing of it. We were getting taught about how to deal with the beginings puberty after we had started it. Now what use is that to a child?

In 1st and 2nd year in Secondary (12-14 year olds) we went further into the biology of the organs and were told about the human reproductive cycle but it was implied to us that the genitals only had to make contact in order for men and women to create children.

From about 3rd to 5th year (14-17 year olds) we were taught about relationships (well not really, just how to say no when being pressured for sex), STD's (for those who didn't say no I guess) and contraceptives.

Truthfully, more was learned about sex education from the "chinese whispers" in the school playground than what we were taught in school. The Scottish system doesn't even teach about how to raise children and how to deal with them (there are good points about this and some negative points to this so I wont go too much into it here)

So the question you need to ask is, would you rather your child learn sex education properly in school where they will be taught facts or would you rather they base their entire sexual knowladge on what they are taught in the playground? Half of which is urban myths and blatant lies from the older children. Currently, children are basing at least 2/3rds of what they know sexually on what they hear in the playground. It shouldn't be like this because sexual "chinese whispers" is a vey dangerous thing that leads to pregnncy and STD's
Old 20th March 2006, 18:17
Quarantined Users

if your twelve years old and you do not know about sex, std's, homosexuality , etc.
there is something wrong with you.
for christ sake lets not insult childrens intelligence they know far more than you think they do and its harmless, sex education will not get a child into trouble, only a lack of communication between parent and child will, so stop pushing the blame elswhere when something goes wrong.
Old 21st March 2006, 20:24

if they are old enough to breed...............
Old 22nd March 2006, 17:55
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbarneth
if they are old enough to breed...............

what does this mean ?
Old 16th April 2006, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by teashoci
if your twelve years old and you do not know about sex, std's, homosexuality , etc.
there is something wrong with you.
for christ sake lets not insult childrens intelligence they know far more than you think they do and its harmless, sex education will not get a child into trouble, only a lack of communication between parent and child will, so stop pushing the blame elswhere when something goes wrong.
Not consistently, and particularly with the advent of homeschooling. You are assuming it has to do with intelligence, but it has more to do with exposure and experience.

Years ago i used to babysit. I remember not understanding one little boy when he kept saying to me, "I have to make cocoa." In his family that was the euphemism they used for having to go to the bathroom. He had no idea of saying it any other way, because he hadn't been exposed to people outside his little circle.

Some families are very isolated and some communities are very prudish about what can be discussed. Even in communities where sex is blatantly discussed, the health aspects of sex often are not discussed, and parents may be too ignorant of sexual health issues to teach their children safe sex even if they wanted to.

I've known communities where using a condom is considered unmasculine. This is not just about education... sometimes it's combatting misinformation, unhealthy practices in a community, and down right stupidity.

I think i've stated this before, but my sister in law was a counsellor in a women's clinic, and on several occassions she had adult women who were so uninformed about health that they literally did not know how to take their own temperature!

So i think your assumption that children are better informed is incorrect. If many of parents don't know safe sexual habits, how to avoid pregnacy, or how to be healthy during pregnancy, how can they teach it?

Some children are informed, many obviously are not. Just because some kids know how to read before they come to school doesn't mean we don't make all the children take reading. It's too important to miss.
Old 20th April 2006, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mee
My 12 yr old Daughter is currently studying sex in science! Now someone tell me what this has to do with science?
It's biology, which was a science the last time I checked.
Old 21st April 2006, 03:11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by teashoci
what does this mean ?

You aren't planning to have children are you?

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!