Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Family and Parenting

Notices

Sex Ed in school

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 27th October 2005, 16:14
WeeButtons

Well just to jump in here ..

No I don't really think that 12 is too young. Speeking from experience myself, I was quit young, and also having quite a few niece's and nephews.. about that age..

They of course deny to me that they are active.. however they have admitted that they have a few friends whom are. I had the "talk" with my Niece last year about a few things. My sister refuses to believe it's possible.. but the kids today, they develope so fast that my Niece looks old enough to be 18. Fully developed if ya know what I mean. Anyway.. my sister was a bit annoyed with me at the moment, however she got over it rather quickly when she found out that her daughters girlfriend got caught with a boy.. so...

I know 12 is young.. but children canni be watched all of the time.. Scary thought but its true..
Old 29th October 2005, 06:46

You have a point, Wee Buttons; however, wouldn't it be a bit easier to just deal with the principles without going into graphic details about sex? Unfortunately, the media (books, magazines, tv, movies, music) are saturated with it, so kids get the wrong idea about it in the first place if that's where they're getting their education from. I pray my daughter doesn't get first-hand education in this area till she's married.
Old 29th October 2005, 06:59
WeeButtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_homemaker
You have a point, Wee Buttons; however, wouldn't it be a bit easier to just deal with the principles without going into graphic details about sex? Unfortunately, the media (books, magazines, tv, movies, music) are saturated with it, so kids get the wrong idea about it in the first place if that's where they're getting their education from. I pray my daughter doesn't get first-hand education in this area till she's married.
Yes that would be wonderful to live without fear and only practice this action once you are married, but even still think of all the married couples that are cheating on each other.. That is just worse off..

and I noticed all this sex stuff a few years ago to be honest. My nieces are my angels.. and ya know.. good girls.. until one day the two of them, one was 10 or 11 at the time and the other 12, anyway they put on like a dance show for the family during one of our Holiday gatherings. Anyway, they outfits they put on.. and the DANCE moves straight from MTV man. Too sexy of a movement, with sexy play with a hat... and all that..

She got the moves from an Alicia Keys video when she first started and wore that ridiculous hat.. lol.. Anyway, between her, and that pig Brittany.. ya know.. they don't even need to pick certain things up at school anymore.

The internet is booming with sex, itís everywhere.. and I think.. ya know.. move with the times, donít be blind and protect your innocents by educating them.

When I got finished explaining to my Niece about AIDS and what I've learned about it all from going to meetings for a friend to support her many years back... she was floored..

When I was growing up.. The biggest horror was Teen Pregnancy.. now I swear.. take a pill and itís gone.. how easy has science made it for your kids to not only have sex, but even be stupid about doing it..

If only Pregnancy was the biggest problem still.. and I'm afraid that the AIDS issue is not going to get better.. so the more they know.. and see about that, then perhaps the more they will learn.
Old 20th December 2005, 18:30

Send a message via AIM to druid1616 Send a message via MSN to druid1616
I'll be writing alot about this later but let me tell you I'm 18 and am in an indepth school health class and I AM so happy I am in it. Its good to havbe these classes and I am speakin as a student in one. **** bell but ill be back!
Old 21st December 2005, 03:47

I just read the first post and can tell you that when you think your daughter may need to knwo is too late. I am a jr and the freshman (14!!) are more active then me. I wish most of the girls in my grade had gotten what we knwo now in the 9th grade it is appaulign and makes me sad to think that 15-16 yr olds need to have regualr trips to the gyno. But sex ed in science in health where ever just be happy shes learning because even though you feel you'll tell her she may not want to hear it fomr you. No offense I talk to my mom about lot's of things but most teens in my glass did an open survey about who they'd talk to and no one voted for parents. I've just learned about abortion last week and can tell you my views have completly changed.(did you knwo it wa sactualy a baby!) I thought it was just an egg. But its baby and they rip it apart LITERALY uh. I've also learned a GREAT deal about STD's. Did you know even with mutual masterbation you cna catch an std you can wash your hands a hundred times but if you touch your eye or w/e you can totlay get w/e that person had. I've learned alot I just wish all schools had the cours ei have. granted its theology and we learn about respecting our selves and all of that but the basics besides forming our character I just wish people knew. So just be happy your daughters learning somthing because most young girls and boys learn basiclay nothing. I have friends my age asking me questions they wished they'd known the answers to waaaaay back. Some parents haven't even been taught about what goes on and whats around now adays so I mean Not to preach but you shoudl just be thankful + it save syou the embarresment. no offense maybe you wouldnt be embarresed but I mean c'mon HPV is not the most comfortable subject.. ok well. thats my say on teh matter and if it wasn't clear SEX ED IS A GOOD THING!!
Old 27th December 2005, 07:08

I will never forget one day i was watching television and they were interviewing a group of teen mothers. Every single one of them said they'd wished they'd had more sex education in school and earlier... that if they had, that as much as they love their children, they would have put having them off until later in life. I think that says it all.

Some of those teens were very young. It may seem to Mee like a little much to give her child of 12 the full blown adult version of sex-ed all at once, but i think probably what works best is to introduce details steadily and gradually from early age... including kindergarten.... through high school. I think one of the most important things is to head off misinformation that kids will pick up from each other and media.

Most girls who wind up pregnant, or males and females who wind up with a sexually transmitted disease... didn't understand enough about our own bodies. It's hard to believe that many girls wind up pregnant without even understanding where babies come from... but it does happen. As soon as one girl in a class is having their first menses... there is going to be talk between them about growing up, becoming women, sex. Wouldn't you rather they get educated by their teacher rather than from another girl in class who heard whatever from her mother?

It helps to have sex ed in schools for several reasons, but one is because parents are often uncomfortable discussing it, and their children are often uncomfortable asking questions they have from a parent. A parent may choose to give their child the message, "just don't have sex," ...but without the child knowing the consequences of all sorts of choices... and hearing it from a teacher (sometimes at that age they start disregarding some of what their parent says as overprotective) they may not be motivated or understand why they shouldn't when they find themselves in a confusing situation or the heat of the moment.

Mee started out mentioning in particular talking about sex in a science class and felt it was inappropriate there as opposed to a health class. Well... science includes biology, and even when completely separate from the issue of teen sex, sex on the whole is a very big deal in science. Every toad, every tree, every microbe reproduces and it's central to all life on earth and many of our everyday concerns from growing vegetables to curing a cold are influenced by the sexual activity of the lifeform concerned. To me it would be odd to try to teach science without mentioning sex. In fact, it would be like taking the letter "e" out of every book.
Old 27th December 2005, 16:38

I just watched the 40 year old virgin and theres a scene when he takes his g/f teenage girl to the clinic to get birth control and the weird nurse kept telling them their other ways to have sex. That it's safe to do everything but have vaginal intercourse. um are you serious Everything you can get form that type of sex you can get from all the other types of sex. That to me is why kids are so unsafe with it because they go and see movies like that and think its ok. I was watching that scene and wanted to puke about all the kids that went and saw that and now think thats actual fact and will now go and do everything that "nurse" said was safe. It's disgusting
Yeah science and sex..gotta love it.