Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Family and Parenting

Notices

Parents' Impact

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th January 2004, 19:20

Here's one for the parents:

Often as parents, we forget that our children are always watching us. The following reflection is offered to assist parents in remembering that chioldren are always observing, listening and learning. The author is unknown.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator, and I immefdiately wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you feed a stray cat, and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me, and I learned that the little things can be special things in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you say a prayer, and I knew there is a God I could always talk to and I learned to trust in God.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you give of your time and money to help people who had nothing, and I learned that those who have someting should give to those
who don't.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I felt you kiss me good
night, and I felt loved and safe.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked at you and wanted to say, "Thanks for all the thingsI saw when ou thought I wasn't looking."
Old 29th January 2004, 23:36

12 Rules for Raising Delinquent Children

1. Begin in infancy to give the child everything he/she wants. In this way, he/she will grow to believe the world owes him/her a living.

2. When he/she picks up bad words, laugh at him/her. This will make him/her think he's/she's cute. It will also encourage him/her to pick up "cuter" phrases that will blow off the top of you head later.

3. Never give him/her any spiritual training. Wait till he/she is 21 then let him/her "decide for himself/herself".

4. Avoid use of the word "wrong". It may cause a guilt complex. This will condition him/her to believe later, when he/she is arrested for stealing a car, that society is against him/her and he is being persecuted.

5. Pick up everything he/she leaves lying around-books, shoes, and clothing. Do everything for him/her so he/she will be experienced in throwing all responsibility onto others.

6. Let him/her read any printed matter he can get his/her hands on. Be careful that the silverware and drinking glasses are sterelized, but let his/her mind feast on garbage.

7. Quarrel frequently in the presence of you child. In this way, he/she will not be too shocked when the home broken up later.

8. Give a child all the spending money he/she wants. Never let him/her earn his own. Why should he/she have things as tough as you had them?

9. Satisfy his/her every craving for food, drink, and comfort. See that every sensual desire is gratified. Denial may lead to harmful frustration.

10. Take his/her part agains neighbors, teachers, policemen. They are all prejudiced against your child.

11. When he/she gets into real trouble, apologize for yourself by saying, "I never could do anything with him/her."

12. Prepare for a life of grief. You will apt to have it.
Old 30th January 2004, 10:31

Both posts were great, in their way. The first one was really lovely.

I only can say one thing: When my daughter was in this mood of RUNNING around like a mad little dog, and banged her head everywhere, I used to say: "My, my, can't you watch out!".

This is now about a year ago.

Recently, she was watching a cartoon on TV and there was a mouse that banged its head, too. Guess what she cried out to the mouse??? "My, my, can't you watch out!". Even if it takes a while, all you say and do comes back in the child's play and behaviour.