Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Family and Parenting

Notices

Growing up with a BIG Family or any Childhood Memories

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th January 2004, 15:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Texasmujer
My mother is Puerto Rican, and my parents divorced, so things were not always sunny or happy at my home, however...
my mother did what she could, and I have to admire her...she had a high school education, spoke a HEAVILY accented english; Matter of fact, we kids---there were 4 of us---would tease her, and ask her to say "sheet", knowing full well that she would say sh--). Another time, when my brothers were home, one went running through the house shouting,"Jimmy...NO!!" And my brother (Jimmy) fired a gun, apparently killing my other brother; of course, they were using blanks in the gun...ALL of us females just panicked. (My brothers were home on leave---they were both in the Army, and about to leave for "Nam,) My Mom...how she survived us, I'll never know!
(Let's salute ALL our Moms!!)

[Edited by Texasmujer on 25th January 2004 at 21:44]
[i]Texasmujer

lol.. Sounds like a house of mischief.. he he he

Yes.. we should salute all the Mom's

Applause to all the "Moms"

Thanks for sharing your story..

Mistress
Old 26th January 2004, 15:51

[i]Jacobitedreamer

Thanks for joining in ...

Seems that all our lives now are filled with lots of different memories from our past.. Some happie and some not so..

I give you a lot of credit.. for you are much sronger then I.. Caring for Grandma could not have been easy on such a wee thing.. but for sure It molded whom you are today

I've heard so much of you little one. Sounds wonderful to have someone to pass all those stories onto ..

Mistress
Old 26th January 2004, 15:55

[i]lol..

Another "Not so Pleasant" lol Memory of mine was when I was about 4 till I was about 6 years old.. my rotten siblings.. lol.. told me I was adopted.. but I was to never confront Mommy because Daddy didn't even know.. and he could not handle that.. lol.. WELL! two years.. lol.. they use to tease me.. making me cry.. lol.. *bast*rds* lol..

Finally I asked my Mom.. and she didn't answer me.. but went straight to Dad.. Whom held onto the "leather belt" lol.. I for one never got the leather belt used on me..
he he he.. (thats a whole other story )

but Oh boy did they get it.. lol..

I did however take my Mom alot of time to convience me.. that it was a lie.. he he he

Mistress
Old 26th January 2004, 20:04

Quote:
Originally posted by Mistress
[i]Jacobitedreamer

Thanks for joining in ...

Seems that all our lives now are filled with lots of different memories from our past.. Some happie and some not so..

I give you a lot of credit.. for you are much sronger then I.. Caring for Grandma could not have been easy on such a wee thing.. but for sure It molded whom you are today

I've heard so much of you little one. Sounds wonderful to have someone to pass all those stories onto ..

Mistress
Oh yes, she's soooo wonderful and she loves all those stories of mermen and knights...

Well, all in all, my childhood was a happy one. I was so proud of my father, then an officer of the armed forces, and of my mum, graphics genius who worked at the greatest theatre in town. Both are out of work now and mum broke to pieces over that. She's so unhappy ever since and needs help.

Dad, the warrior, the cool head and yet the romantic loon. Mum, always so vulnerable, like made of glass... I love them still and we're a good family.

Family is a great treasure and responsibility is what makes it work. I was always proud and happy to help and so it is still.

My childhood memories, the great ones are always related to my dad. When I was ill, he would walk over to the great wardrobe, put on his hat and wave his hands, murmuring some mysterious "spell". Then, with the help of this "magic", he produced a picture book or a doll from out the wardrobe for me. Even when I found out how the trick worked, the magic remained. The magic of someone who cares for you, who loves you.

Dad was the one who told me all the secrets of the woods. To trace a fox or a deer, to understand the noise brought to your ear by the wind, to find water, mushrooms, berries. To understand the why and wherefor of life and death. And he told me of all the beings of the wood you could only see when you were very gifted. Ghosts and elves, wanderers of the shadows... I loved this. It made the woods so special.

And he's a wonderful grandpa!

Old 28th January 2004, 04:28

[i]It must be great telling her all those stories

Humm.. well a not so good memory of mine.. lol.. and still to today.. I throw it up into my brothers face.. lol..

I still hhave my first baby doll.. Her name is Annie.. My Brother made a nuse (sp?) lol.. as in like hanging.. Anyway.. he tied it around her next and was swinging her from the second floor... over the staircase.. saying. "Dont worry.. Davie will make a nice coffin for her" lmao.. while laughing hystrical... That rat Bast*rd.. lol.. Her head came off.. and man was I freakin out.. Couldnt sleep for a week.. My Mom almost killed him.. So she made him fix her by sewing her head back on using some old sheet material.. but OMG what a bad job.. lmao..

I found a brand new one.. actually not new.. she is from 1972.. but I found one untouched on eBay.. lol.. and I made him buy it for me.. lol.. And I still have my original one.. she is pretty tattered.. but she is wrapped in her baby blankie.. and in her crib.. lol..

Mistress
Old 28th January 2004, 06:39
Super Moderator

My Grandparents lived in San Diego, CA and we all lived in Eugene OR, it was a 2 day drive to get there. My dad could make it with just one stop. For coffee. If you were a girl and traveling made you need to pee, too bad! If you could hold it and make it to the loo before his coffee was ready then fine otherwise, plan on pain! LOL

He would stop only if my mom made an issue of it. Then he would make us watch for gas stations just off the freeway that took no effort to reach and wouldn't interfere with his schedule! It's not too easy to spot them when you are flying past at 70 and in pain!!!! LOL

I used to fake car sickness to get him to stop, he knew I would barf in the car so he didn't dare not stop! I don't think there is a bush between Eugene and San Diego that I haven't watered!

The first rule I established when Randy and I got married was that WE WOULD STOP FOR A SKIP TO THE LOO!!!!!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Old 28th January 2004, 13:19

Great stories! So nice you share them!