Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Cuisine

Notices

research for an upcoming scottish theme wedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19th March 2001, 19:11

Question

i am a personal chef who specializes in wedding catering. i am in search of input into a true scottish wedding. i have scoured the shelves of book stores here in the states but would like to here from brides ,grooms and the scottish elders of wedding memories. thankyou ahead of time for your help. could use as many recipes , idas that you can muster.
Old 19th March 2001, 20:01

Smile

Babz , your help is needed !!
Old 20th March 2001, 07:14

I was married in Scotland in a very small (family only) registry office ceremony followed by a meal & small reception at Rangers Football Club.
Since it was family-only, we went the traditional route on the wedding cake: It was a fruit cake with a layer of marzipan and hard icing to keep the cake moist. We took it home and sliced it up, put it into tiny boxes that you can get from any party supply shop, and posted pieces of cake to all the friends and family that we were unable to invite to the wedding.

Yeah, i hate fruit cake too, but this is the traditional way, and really the only way of guaranteeing that the slices arrive in an edible condition, despite the best efforts of the Royal Mail!
Old 27th March 2001, 23:47

I attended my sisters wedding last may, it was held in the north of scotland

i was impressed with the presentation of the meal

the guests were presented with a menu and was asked by waitresses what their choose was:

example

juice
tomato soup
scotch broth

roast beef and yorkshire pudding with roast potatoes and mixed vegetables
roast chicken with mushroom sauce, potatoes and vegetables
salad: Ham, egg, lettuce, tomatoe, cucumber etc. etc
or Chicken, egg, lettuce, etc etc.

strawberry shortcake
sherry triffle

tea or coffe
traditional fruit wedding cake or sponge layered cake

and ofcourse a dram - scotch or sherry

this was a refreshing change from weddings on the other side of the Atlantic, don't get me wrong, the food in canada is great but it is nice to have a choice.

This was held in a banquet facility which had a full kitchen and also had a restaurant attached where the same food was offered for the evening meal. This helped ofset any extra food that was prepared for the occassion.

hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 30th March 2001, 11:50

I am always asked about traditional Scottish Weddings. Personally I think the States do Scottish or Celtic weddings better than we do. Unless the setting is going to be in a castle or a Big Victorian style building, you'll have to work hard to make it feel Scottish.

In terms of format I would offer the following:

A Piper. Most countries can supply a piper. Contact the local Caledonian Society or pipe band.

A Blessing. There are loads of Scots blessings which can be added to the Order of Service or to the table menus.

A Ceilidh Band. By far the most Scottish of weddings feature a good band. These are often accompanied by a disco too to allow for all of those who prefer new stuff.
If you want a decent band let me know.

Kilts and tartan....enough said.

Favours. small collection of candies in voile or similar.

On the food side. Most Scots weddings feature the same menu due to the fact that they have to serve 80 to 100 people. This cuts down the options. But I have been to a few with really good food.

Fresh poached salmon and watercress when displayed well makes a fantastic centre piece.

Good quality beef served as small medallions in a rich dark red wine sauce, served with fresh vegetables and dauphinoise potatoes is always a classic. Personal favourite would have to be Beef in a whisky & peppercorn sauce.

For fish lovers, why not a pan fried fillet of Sea Trout on a bed of Leek and Bacon Risotto. Served with a saffron and chilli butter sauce. (Fresh fish is very Scottish)

For desert it should be Cranachan (which I can never spell)
I perefer the following though which is lighter but has similar taste.
To a bowl of Double cream (whipped)add broken meringue pieces and fresh or tinned raspberries (drained). Add dash of Drambuie liqueur.Chill until serving.

Mix gently and spoon into glasses(the meringue will now be soft and smooth)
Decorate with a couple of whole respberries and a mint leaf. If you're feeling extravagant add a shaving of Belgian white chocolate.

Enjoy.
BIG

"Jings, Crivvens, Help Ma Boab!"
Old 19th February 2004, 02:53

Make tablet for favors and put it in nice little satin bags. Just in case you don't know what Tablet is, it's the national sweet of Scotland - it's not creamy like fudge, more granular and melts in your mouth - delicious. Tablet is tricky to get just right. I have perfected it over the years and sell it in the states. You can email me at lorrainehough1@comcast.net if you're ever interested in purchasing it from my company - Tea & Tablet.
Old 31st August 2004, 19:42

need a ceilidh band from scotland?

need a ceilidh band from scotland?

I can help..