Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Cuisine

Notices

Need honest opinions on Single Malt Scotches under $100 (Preferably from Scots)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21st April 2015, 06:16

This reminds me of a future (non-!) problem I’ll have to face.

In the past here, I collected a lot of liqueurs and spirits etc for cocktail-making. Had lots of fun having house parties etc but the parties cost too much and nowadays no parties and I have a lot of bottles untouched.

Likewise, I started collecting malt whiskies at duty-frees and also local trading shops here. I also collected 5 when we went to Scotland in 2013 (each malt representing where we’d stayed near – Edradour, Blair Atholl, Oban, Springbank and I forget the 5th – maybe Dalwhinnie ?). Anyway, I have around 27 bottles, mostly of different makes of malts nearly all unopened. I’m not likely to drink them as I don’t drink whisky anymore. They're in pride of place in my display bar as a collection.

I also have been buying wine, about 25 just now (old school - France, Italy, Spain) but these do get used, mainly with food and get replaced. I do enjoy a nice glass of wine – red or white !

So, if as hoped, I can pack in working here in 3 or 4 years’ time and move to the Philippines with my wife to live (just an affordable, small-sized new-built developer house), I can’t take the bottles with me. (I don’t think I could anyway for customs reasons – huge payable duty). The wine will be phased out and used up but I’ll have to get rid of the whisky etc. I can’t sell it openly – that’s illegal. I can quietly give it away to family and friends but they’re not whisky drinkers.

I won’t pour it down the sink ! What to do ? Maybe give to my Western work colleagues ?

Like I say, a non-problem in the scheme of things !
Old 21st April 2015, 10:28

Lagavulin . . . it's like smoky bacon crisps. Oh yeah.