Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Cuisine

Notices

Looking for Dundee Cake recipe, where the cake must be frequently fed with whisky

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25th October 2011, 22:17

I see. But is it that they dont last because you cant resist eating them , or because they would go bad?

Im really curious about feeding one with whisky over a certain amount of time, like 4 weeks or so. Hope you dont think Im crazy

Or - another question - what are the cakes called you yourself bake and feed with alcohol for 4 or 6 weeks, if you like to tell me? I would like to look up a recipe of one and find out if it differs greatly from the Dundee cake recipes I have looked up, what the ingredients are concerned.
Old 25th October 2011, 22:17

Argh, sorry, Ive seen you already named them - simply Christmas cake, right...
Old 25th October 2011, 22:49

Yes!
Do a search for Traditional British Christmas cakes - I'm sure millions of recipes will come up!
Old 25th October 2011, 23:12

Have already found a very good sounding one! Along with your information, that you can let them rest for 4 to 6 weeks, feeding it frequently, I think Ive everything I need to bake a very good cake for Christmas this year!

Again - thank you so much for your help!
Old 26th October 2011, 19:36
Super Moderator

My Christmas Cake is often made in July and its fed MALT Whisky probably monthly till I marzipan it.

I forgot about one a few years ago and it did taste lovely a year later so moist and potent

I tend to make all the xmas cakes for all the family so do start early !!

As for a Dundee cake I find that they are a lot drier than a Christmas Cake...even without its whisky added

When making a cake for family with small children I will use a low alcohol content red wine, they seem to enjoy it !
Old 26th October 2011, 20:13

Hi there, Babz - thank you also for giving me these insights! Wow - you bake it in July already!!! Ive read that these kind of cakes do get better the longer they mature, but never would have guessed that you can keep them for so long!

Again, Im very happy that I can ask you people here, because over in Germany - at least the guys in the cooking forum I frequently visit seem to never have heard of feeding a cake with whisky and keeping it for so long!

So the alcohol does preserve it, I presume! Do you wrap it in tinfoil or greased paper? I would tend to use tinfoil in addition to an airtight container.
Old 27th October 2011, 20:08
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelady View Post
Hi there, Babz - thank you also for giving me these insights! Wow - you bake it in July already!!! Ive read that these kind of cakes do get better the longer they mature, but never would have guessed that you can keep them for so long!

Again, Im very happy that I can ask you people here, because over in Germany - at least the guys in the cooking forum I frequently visit seem to never have heard of feeding a cake with whisky and keeping it for so long!

So the alcohol does preserve it, I presume! Do you wrap it in tinfoil or greased paper? I would tend to use tinfoil in addition to an airtight container.
Usually I wrap it in greaseproof paper and then clingfilm, it does depend on how much alcohol I put in it.

If not adding a lot I will use the greaseproof and then put in a container.

Everyone has their own way of wrapping cakes for keeping so whatever works best for you use it !