Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Cuisine

Notices

Scottish Food Aversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2011, 08:04

It looks kind of cute with its wee head poking over the side ! Awww bless !!

It has been postulated (is that legal in public places ?) that balut was invented by Filipinos to wind up foreigners about being a traditional delicacy which they must try to fit in locally !

I think Flipinos eat them as a dare But one Filipino told me the only way to eat one is in a dark cinema while holding your nose !

I wonder if Gordon Ramsay could improve their image for the sophisticated modern palate.

I've never had to eat one (thank god) but my daughter used to love them. I have eaten some odd foods though - apart from the obvious escargots (I used to like them actually with the garlic butter - escargots bourguignon, but they slowed me down ) and frogs' legs. But in S E Asia, I've eaten goat many times (kambing), dog (aso - in Philippines - honest I didn't know !), squeezy ox lungs (Indonesia), snake, sea blubber and shredded jellyfish (Hong Kong). Never tried any insects or arachnids though ! Nearly ate a lizard once but chickened out.

I even ate my old nemesis tripe in the Philippines in a peanut-sauce stew with oxtail called kare-kare.
Old 26th May 2011, 01:41

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachlan09 View Post
It looks kind of cute with its wee head poking over the side ! Awww bless !!

It has been postulated (is that legal in public places ?) that balut was invented by Filipinos to wind up foreigners about being a traditional delicacy which they must try to fit in locally !

I think Flipinos eat them as a dare But one Filipino told me the only way to eat one is in a dark cinema while holding your nose !

I wonder if Gordon Ramsay could improve their image for the sophisticated modern palate.

I've never had to eat one (thank god) but my daughter used to love them. I have eaten some odd foods though - apart from the obvious escargots (I used to like them actually with the garlic butter - escargots bourguignon, but they slowed me down ) and frogs' legs. But in S E Asia, I've eaten goat many times (kambing), dog (aso - in Philippines - honest I didn't know !), squeezy ox lungs (Indonesia), snake, sea blubber and shredded jellyfish (Hong Kong). Never tried any insects or arachnids though ! Nearly ate a lizard once but chickened out.

I even ate my old nemesis tripe in the Philippines in a peanut-sauce stew with oxtail called kare-kare.
Poor puppy dogs! I don't think I have ever looked at my dog and wondered what she would taste like. I think a lot of people eat frog legs though and I wouldn't have any problems with the goats. They say it taste like chicken (the frog legs). What did the jellyfish taste like? I hadn't heard of people eating jellyfish. Reminds me of a TV show called Fear Factor. They would do and eat anything to win the money.
Old 28th May 2011, 04:36

I don't think they're puppies. They let them grow a bit first (more meat). Puppies are probably only used for special festive dishes such as suckling pup.

Mind you the Chinese, Viets etc also eat doggy-woggies !

My partaking was purely by accident - I thought it was goat. (I should have suspected that goats don't wear a leather collar with a bone shaped pendant with Fido etched on it)
Old 5th June 2011, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachlan09 View Post
If there's an aversion to Scottish food, try this Filipino delicacy - BALUT !
What do you mean "IF" there's an aversion to Scottish food. I'd consider it a certainty.

"All Scottish food is based on a dare."
--Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer"
Old 7th June 2011, 04:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottersville View Post
What do you mean "IF" there's an aversion to Scottish food. I'd consider it a certainty.

"All Scottish food is based on a dare."
--Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer"
Not possible ! Scottish food is a delight to all lucky enough to face (I mean savour) it
Old 26th September 2012, 15:24

pigmeat

Consumption of pork is of fairly recent origin in Scotland. That is all I recollect from my reading but will see if I can dig out the refernces.
Old 19th October 2012, 20:14

You are correct that Scots never used to eat much pork etc. Which is strange given our present diet!!!

Some fairly obvious food aversions we have:

* creepy crawlies.
* horse meat.
* human flesh.
* reptiles.
* Anything kept as a pet.

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
"In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."