Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Cuisine

Notices

wierd foods

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19th April 2006, 11:53

The strangest thing I've ate is spiders-apparently the average human eats eight of them in a lifetime while they're sleeping. And the average woman consumes six pounds of lipstick in her lifetime, while most chocolate bars contain half a dozen insect legs.

http://www.saintmarys.edu/~health/dykcare.htm

- Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 19th April 2006, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDY-J3
It's not only regional variations but preferences change through time. I have seen eel traps from Victorian times which indicate that in the not too distant past eels must have been eaten in Scotland,whereas now it is almost unheard of for Scots to eat them.

Probably the strangest thing I like is a Thai fish sauce called Nam Pla which is made by mixing anchovies and other small fish with salt and leaving them to fester for a couple of months in a barrel and then draining off the juices.
The eel industry in Scotland was almost wholly for export & it may still be going on in some places or only recently ended. I remember someone getting a licence to harvest eels from Loch Bulig & the river Gairn in the Cairngorms renewed only a few years back & at certain times, the shallow parts of the rivers Don & Ury can be thick with thousand, upon thousand of the things. an amazing sight! Eels were also taken commercially from Loch Callater as well.

A Thai friend swears by Malt Whisky as a decent replacement for fish sauce in her cooking!
Old 20th April 2006, 04:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDY-J3
The strangest thing I've ate is spiders-apparently the average human eats eight of them in a lifetime while they're sleeping. And the average woman consumes six pounds of lipstick in her lifetime, while most chocolate bars contain half a dozen insect legs.

http://www.saintmarys.edu/~health/dykcare.htm
Yes, yes, but how much lipstick does the average man consume in a lifetime... that's what I want to know!
Old 16th May 2006, 18:42
SherbrookeJacobite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogofish
The eel industry in Scotland was almost wholly for export & it may still be going on in some places or only recently ended. I remember someone getting a licence to harvest eels from Loch Bulig & the river Gairn in the Cairngorms renewed only a few years back & at certain times, the shallow parts of the rivers Don & Ury can be thick with thousand, upon thousand of the things. an amazing sight! Eels were also taken commercially from Loch Callater as well.

A Thai friend swears by Malt Whisky as a decent replacement for fish sauce in her cooking!
In recent times the eel fishery in Scotland may have been for export - but eels were a regular staple for Scottish immigrants to Nova Scotia several hundred years ago - I would assume they ate them because they were familiar with them from home. They are still eaten there (NS) although not as much as they used to be.

I helped the neighbours brand their calves the other day - part of the process is castration - so after we had a feed of fried prairie oysters. If you don't think about what you are eating, they are quite good. Very tender (HA!) and tasty - sort of like bits of ground veal.

What a waste of malt! Surely a blend would suffice for cooking?
Old 16th May 2006, 18:56

Eel meat again
don't know where
don't know when
but I'm sure eel meat again
some sunny day

Old 16th May 2006, 19:08
SherbrookeJacobite

Lol
Old 28th June 2006, 06:52

When I was growing up, I made some really disgusting sandwiches from time to time: they'd have about an inch of peanut butter, then jam on one slice of bread; then mayonnaise and mustard on the other slice, then lunch meat (like bologna or something) and cheese. I'd actually eat this stuff, but most of the time I couldn't finish them, so I'd make my brother eat the rest of it. Ugh! Gag!!

When I was a teenager, Daddy had killed a rattlesnake not too awfully far from where we lived and kept the carcus in a freezer bag in our fridge until he breaded and fried it one Sunday afternoon. I was really squeamish, but Mama made me take a piece of it. It wasn't too awfully bad...... tasted like fried chicken, although much bonier.

When in Massachusetts in my Army days, during Hispanic Heritage Week at the Recreation Center, a friend gave me a dish of plantains with sliced onions. I thought they'd be sweet like bananas, but was VERY sadly mistaken and couldn't finish them.

I have to admit, those are the strangest things eaten to date; but that's about all I'll go for. Am not really adventureous when it comes to trying out new and different foods.