Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Cuisine

Notices

Beer..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th January 2006, 12:03

Lithgae - I thought Gillespe's stout was still being brewed. When did they stop?

Another interesting beer I had was a 'Cherry' beer. I use to have it the odd time in the 'Staropramen' brewery in Prague. I was never a fan of their regular beer (far too gassy) but I think they brewed this particular beer under license. I think it was originally a Belgium beer. It was pink in colour and very strong (8%).

Holly - belive me the Czechs leave every nation high and dry when it comes to beer.

And Sherbrooke, honestly you do not get a hangover no matter how much you drink. The only discernable side effect (and this only occurs after a couple of months) is a gradual tiredness that grows and grows.
Old 28th January 2006, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConorC
Lithgae - I thought Gillespe's stout was still being brewed. When did they stop?
No idea.
It was about 5 years ago when i suddenly realised i hadnt seen it in any pubs or shops for quite a long time...
Old 29th January 2006, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConorC

Holly - belive me the Czechs leave every nation high and dry when it comes to beer.
I absolutely believe you. My sister married a Czech. Her husband's entire family was over at our house one time that i'll never forget.... i was 13 years old. Her husband had 9 brothers and 2 sisters, i think. All but one brother were older, and they brought with them real Russian Wadkah (Vodka). I'm not talking about the stuff imported legally. So here i am, 13 years old, and have no idea, really, what alcohol does. The older brothers gather round and one of them hands me a shot glass filled to the brim. (in their culture, they start EVERYTHING young. The youngest brother learned to drive when he was 11).I take hold of the glass but guy doesn't let go... he waits until i'm looking in his eyes... and then he says, carefully, "whatever you do...........don't taste it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and then he makes a quick tipping motion to show i should toss it down. Well, i do. OMG!!!!!!! I thought i was on FIRE. I think you probably could have flown a military jet airplane on that stuff!!!!!!! After that i was HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!! ....no doubt drunk as a skunk.
Old 5th August 2006, 14:31

McEwans Scotch Ale is about all I drink nowadays. I have my local pub order it for me by the case. (yes the 8% stuff) I don't have much of an opportunity to drink from day to day so a case easily lasts me a month or more. When I visit my brother I drink an occassional Guiness. Years ago I stumbled across a beer that really stood out in my mind. It was called "Hexen Brau" which was a dark Swiss beer I think. In my younger military days I was probably considered a heavy drinker. I spent 3 years in Germany which is what introduced me to the darker stuff. Don't really like the lighter, weaker stuff anymore. Of course everyone has their own tastes.
Nice to meet you all.
Mike
Old 11th September 2006, 01:44

Wow its been a while since i been here

I was such a stupid young kido when i first made this thread and said miller lite was a good beer. Since then i spread out my taste and tried many others. The McEwins which i tried a couple weeks ago, let me say wow, powerful stuff. You can really taste its flavor but what got me was of the alcohol content, 8% man. Very cool.

If you want to try a good american beer series, most of the Samuel Adams are very good in flavor.(Black lager and Cherry Wheat).

What are some other Scottish beers? Im interested in trying more.
Old 11th September 2006, 11:47

Here's a website with some Scottish breweries listed.

http://www.scottishpubs.co.uk/scotbeers/brewers.htm
Old 13th September 2006, 03:13

Hey thanks alot, The Belhaven Beers look mighty good