Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Cuisine

Notices

Recipies Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th February 2005, 22:32

Smile

I'm back I know I'm sorry to bother you again Polwarth
It turns out I have too many recipies with potatoes in them (according to my teacher) so i meed a non-potatoe side dish
If you can help thanks I appreciate it. If not I understand. If you hate me for pestering you too much, then you'll just have to bear with me a little longer.
Old 1st March 2005, 09:10

What is your menu now then? I've lost track in all of this

A side dish could be 'bashed neeps' - which is swede turnip, cut into small pieces and then boiled (like potatoes) and then mashed with lots of pepper, butter and a small amount of milk or cream.

I think Americans may call turnip (swede) rutabaga.

How about skirlie? more of a side dish like a stuffing -
4 oz oatmeal (not Quaker porridge oats, proper oatmeal!)
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
2oz butter
Salt and pepper to taste
OPTION
Some add dried herbs such as sage to the oats just before adding them to the butter/onion mixture.

Gently melt the butter in a pan, add chopped onion and cook on a very low heat for 5 minutes or so, until the onions start to turn golden but not brown. Add the oats and cook for another 10 minutes or so until the oats are cooked.Season with salt and pepper.

or rumbledethumps - a Scots version of the Irish dish colcannon (although it uses potatoes, too)?
1 lb green cabbage, cooked - chopped after cooking
1 onion (large) finely chopped
2 oz butter
2/3 oz mature cheddar - coarsely grated
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

The potatoes and cabbage should not be cooked too long in advance - they need to be hot as the dish is not really 'cooked' when assembled, merely heated through!

Gently melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion. Cook gently for about 5 minutes, do not allow onions to brown. Add the potatoes and cabbage and mix together. Season well with salt and pepper and put into a oven proof dish dish. Cover with the grated cheese and brown it under a grill until bubbling and golden brown

Old 1st March 2005, 15:46

Quote:
Originally posted by clark23
I'm back I know I'm sorry to bother you again Polwarth
It turns out I have too many recipies with potatoes in them (according to my teacher) so i meed a non-potatoe side dish
Too many recipes with potatoes in them? LOLOLOL!

...obviously your teacher is not familiar with Scottish (or Irish) cuisine!

...perhaps you should "educate" your teacher on that one.
Old 1st March 2005, 22:37

my teacher didn't want reoccuring main ingredients
but you have a good point
Old 3rd March 2005, 13:08

Talking

Holly I showed my teacher your last post and she said that you were right and that I can use the potato side dish still
it's sort of funtelling a teacher they're wrong and having them agree!
Old 3rd March 2005, 14:09

COOL!

My friend Teena is an American who married a Scot and lives in the Highlands now on a croft. She does a lot of cooking for her husband and inlaws, and has been telling me how Scots are very particular about how potatoes are prepared!

I don't think she'll mind if i quote her here:

I've also noticed that the Scots (especially the farming men folk) are people of few words. They say what's necessary but they don't chit chat a lot and they don't give flowery speeches. They don't have the time or knowledge to play mind games so you don't have to wonder what they meant when they say something. They mean exactly what they say. You won't hear lots of praises nor lots of criticism. Both will be quite subtle but you learn to pick up if they are happy or not.

For example, cooking potatoes (tatties). Scots are very serious about their tatties. They have them at least once a day. You always have boiled tatties at night with your supper but you may have them during the day as well. When you are cooking the tatties there's a lot of pressure to get it right. If you think you put them in a pan of water and boil them till they are done and that's all....you are cooking them wrong!! I'll not give you a lesson on how to cook them in this email.

If you have done a perfect job cooking the tatties you will know it by them saying, "Ain't much wrong with these tatties." That is a huge compliment! It doesn't sound like much but believe me...they appreciate a properly cooked tattie.

If you haven't cooked the tatties long enough and they have a bit of a hard center, you will hear, "Tatties seem to have a bit of a bone yet." The tatties will all be eaten and nothing else will be said but you know you failed!

If you accidentally over cook the tatties and they have slightly dissolved, you will hear, "Oh! I didn't know we were having tattie soup." Again, the tatties will all be eaten and nothing else will be said but you, again, will know you failed!

If I say I'm not cooking tatties, that one of the guys can cook them then I am quickly reminded I am not a piece of art to be looked at with no other use. So, I guess that's me told! To be fair though the men folk do pitch in and cook sometimes. And yes, sometimes they even mess up the tatties but don't worry, I'm getting the hang of this Scottish stuff!

ME: "Ack, where's me soup plate? I just love tattie soup!"

Old 21st March 2005, 18:59

Exclamation

Hey, I know i sould probably make my own thing but you guys were on the topic so..I'm also doing a project at school. its on our culture and my mom isnt here for when its due and my dad doesnt know anything so i was wondering if you guys could help me. I have to make a food from our culture and i was gonna make shortbread cause i know how to make it. but we have to list like all the nutrients and stuff on a tri-fold board and theres only 3 ingreidents so I was woundering if you can give me like a type of food to make that everyone like and has alot of ingredients so please let me know thanks alot