Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Cuisine

Notices

Scottish Meat Pie recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10th July 2004, 21:24

Just found these forums!

I've been looking for a recipe for Scottish Meat Pies, but have so far been unsuccessful. Most of the recipes I have seen have them being made with crimps on the side. I was wanting the recipe that make a 4-inch (or so) round pastry with the filling in the middle. (I've seen them this way at various Scottish fairs here in the US.)

Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!
Old 10th July 2004, 22:47

I'm not sure whether you mean a traditional water crust mutton pie or the famous Scottish steak pie (usually a bigger size)

Here's a recipe for the larger pie

Steak Pie

Ingredients: 1lb 8oz Stewing Steak, 1 onion
Puta little sunflower oil in a frying pan and gently brown the steak. Remove and then use the oil to and cook the onion until just coloured - do not allow to brown.
Put both in a saicepan with 8 - 12 fl.oz. of stock - fresh or from a cube. Stew for 1.5 - 2 hours until the meat is very tender.
You can use Flaky Pastry or puff pastry. Here's a recipe for flaky

8oz Plain Flour
4oz butter (cold and hard, straight from fridge)
2oz Lard
cold water to mix

Seive flour into mixing bowl, add butter and chop into small pieces. Add water. Roll in a long strip and spread lard over evenly but not thickly. Fold in three; roll out again and spread lard repeating the process three times. Put steak and gravy in pie dish, putting a pie funnel (if you have one) in the centre to release the steam. Roll out the pastry 1inch larger than the pie dish and cut a half inch wide strip from edge. Lay this strip around the edge of the pie dish first wetting the rim, press it to make it stick. Lay pastry over the pie and poke a hole in the centre for the funnel. Press around edge to make pattern. Any remaining pasry can be cut in leaves etc. to decorate the top. Brush with beaten egg. Cook for 30 minutes approx at Gas 7-8; Electricity 450 - 475 deg. F.

Here's a recipe, taken from http://www.rampantscotland.com for water crust mutton pies - which I think is more the sort you are talking about - although some of my American friends say that they are not authentic in the States as they use beef instead of mutton!

Traditional Scottish Recipes
- Scotch Pie

Large numbers of Scotch Pies are sold in Scotland every day - they are an original "fast food" and are often sold at the half-time interval at football (soccer) matches. The pies are made in special straight-sided moulds, roughly 3-3 inches (7.5-8.5cm) in diameter and about 1 inches (4cm) deep. A pastry lid, inside the pie, covers the meat about inch (1cm) below the rim. This leaves a space at the top of the pie which can be filled, if required - with hot gravy, baked beans, mashed (creamed) potatoes etc. The meat is usually mutton (sometimes of varying quality). Many bakers have their own recipes and add spices to give additional flavour - there is now an annual competition for the best Scotch Pie.

Grannie Black, in Candleriggs in Glasgow, was a character who had such a reputation for such good mutton pies that people came from far and wide - the pub named after her has, unfortunately, been demolished.

The quantities below should make roughly 8/10 pies.
Ingredients for the Meat Filling:
1 pound (500g or two cups) lean lamb, minced (ground)
Pinch of mace or nutmeg
Salt and pepper
Quarter pint (150ml) gravy
Ingredients for the Hot Water Pastry:
1 pound (500g or four cups) plain flour
6 ounces (175g or cup) lard
6 fluid ounces (225ml or cup) approximately of water
Pinch of salt
Milk for glazing

You will also need glasses or jars, approximately 3-3 inches (7.5-8.5cm) in diameter to shape the pie.

Method:
Create the filling by mixing the minced (ground) lamb, spice and seasoning.
Make the pastry by sifting the flour and salt into a warm bowl. Make a well in the centre of the flour. Melt the lard in a scant measure of water and, when it is bubbling, add to the flour and mix thoroughly. Take a small amount (remember the mixture should make 8/10 pies, with their tops) and form into a ball and keep the rest warm while making each pastry case. This is done by rolling a suitable amount for each pie and shaping the crust round the base of a glass or jar approximately 3-3 inches (7.5-8.5cm) in diameter. Make sure there are no cracks in the pastry - you can trim round the top of the case to make it even. As the pastry cools and gets cool, remove the glass and continue until you have about a quarter of the pastry left to make the lids.
Fill the cases with the meat and add the gravy to make the meat moist.
Roll the remaining pastry and use the glass to cut the lids. Wet the edges of the lids, place over the meat and press down lightly over the filling. Pinch the edges and trim. Cut a small hole or vent in the centre of the lid (to allow the steam to escape).
Glaze with milk and bake for about 45 minutes at 275F/140C/Gas mark 1. If the pies are not eaten immediately, they can be stored in the 'fridge but always ensure they are properly reheated before being eaten.

Old 11th July 2004, 17:41

Can I emphasise the importance of a good pinch of white pepper. It must be white pepper for a bit of a nip when you bite into the mince.

Heers tae is, Aa faa's like is - Damn fyow an they're aa deid

Ye hivnea met me
Old 12th July 2004, 16:40

Thanks!

Thanks for the recipes! I appreciate it!
Old 16th October 2004, 16:08

Great recipe! Where can one purchase the special straight-sided moulds needed to mould the crusts for these pies?
Old 16th October 2004, 23:08

Hello
I don't know where you live, but I've seen the moulds for sale in department stores in Edinburgh. My moulds were my granny's and are at least 80 years old!
Old 17th October 2004, 18:12

Thank you for your reply to my enquiry. Would any one on the forum like to undertake the task of locating these meat pie pastry moulds, purchasing them and sending them to me in the USA? They just do not seem to be availalbe in the USA. At least I cannot locate them. I am sure transfer of payment would easily be accomplished.