Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Cuisine

Notices

Scottish Meat Pie recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11th July 2006, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingwall
............ fishing in the highlands, food and single malts. ..............

That sounds like a happy life you have there. Welcome to Scotland.com.
Old 12th July 2006, 09:38

meat pie shells

Agonybag -

I read your request for help in finding a way to prepare meat pies using your own meat pie recipe. By the numerous posts on this subject you are not alone in this quest.

From MacKimmies earlier exchange with Polwarth I don't believe MacKimmie uses moulds. You commended MacKimmie on the pie photo furnished and I think that procedure merits additional inquiry.

Quite by accident last evening I found moulds at www.goodcookshop.com that appear similar to Polwarths description. They are titled "Silverwood Pork
Pie Mould With Loose Base 4 in Code 56042". Perhaps Polwarth could establish if we are on to something here. You seemed concerned about getting the product to the USA and the payment method. I suggest a capable merchant will have a solution for you.

As to MacKimmie, it would be instructive to hear more of that business model compared to what may be a partial solution described above. I say business model as earlier MacKimmie indicated meat pie shells are provided to pubs and individuals. Sometimes the proprietary nature of a situation may limit the amount of detail shared which is understandable.

Agonybag - If you availed yourself of MacKimmies generous free offer of sample shells perhaps you could give us a critique.

A friend asked me why I get so involved in questions such as we are discussing. I can only reply it's a mystery to me equal only to the great meat pie mould / shell puzzle.

Regards, Dingwall
Old 12th July 2006, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingwall
As to MacKimmie, it would be instructive to hear more of that business model compared to what may be a partial solution described above. I say business model as earlier MacKimmie indicated meat pie shells are provided to pubs and individuals. Sometimes the proprietary nature of a situation may limit the amount of detail shared which is understandable.

Agonybag - If you availed yourself of MacKimmies generous free offer of sample shells perhaps you could give us a critique.

Regards, Dingwall

Hello Dingwall - You are somewhat correct in assuming a proprietary nature on our pie making process. We are currently offering both sizes of our shells for sale (2.5 inch and 3.5 inch with lids) to those interested in making their OWN meat pies at home. We are simply offering an alternative to purchasing someone else's meat pies (heat and eat) or struggling with cans/heavy glasses to create a free-standing pie shell at home.
Attached is a picture that I took today of both size shells with lids. I took these with my camera phone also, so the quality may not be the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pie shells small and large lids.JPG (15.8 KB, 11513 views)
Old 9th August 2006, 19:01

Meat pie shells

Dingwall,
I did avail myself of McKimmie's very generous offer of sending samples of his meat pie shells. He FedEXed four shells, two each of the two sizes he produces. They arrived in excellent condition and were absolutely wonderful. They baked up beautifully. The pastry is far superior to any that I have, so far, been able to make from my recipes. They were able to withstand an overly generous amount of filling without bulging at the sides or the lid pulling apart from the shell. We ate two of them fresh from the oven and froze the other two as soon as they were cool enough to place in the freezer. These we ate ten days later. There was no discernable diffference in the texture or flavour of the pies. I am still experimentig with the filling. For this last attempt I boiled the ingredients in home made beef stock instead of sauteing. It made a big difference. I think I am on the right track with that change

I am in hot pursuit of some "'Meat Pie Moulds". A fellow piper, who lives in Ayrshire, has twelve of them, not round but oval shaped. We may be able to make a trade of some sort. In the mean time I have forsaken cans, jars and bottles in my struggle to form beautiful meat pie shells. I will be in touch with McKimmie to place an order for his lovely pie shells. Would anyone besides myself like to know how McKImmie forms his shells so nicely?

Best wishes to all,
agonybag
Old 22nd August 2006, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonybag
Dingwall,
I did avail myself of McKimmie's very generous offer of sending samples of his meat pie shells. He FedEXed four shells, two each of the two sizes he produces. They arrived in excellent condition and were absolutely wonderful. They baked up beautifully. The pastry is far superior to any that I have, so far, been able to make from my recipes. They were able to withstand an overly generous amount of filling without bulging at the sides or the lid pulling apart from the shell. We ate two of them fresh from the oven and froze the other two as soon as they were cool enough to place in the freezer. These we ate ten days later. There was no discernable diffference in the texture or flavour of the pies. I am still experimentig with the filling. For this last attempt I boiled the ingredients in home made beef stock instead of sauteing. It made a big difference. I think I am on the right track with that change

I am in hot pursuit of some "'Meat Pie Moulds". A fellow piper, who lives in Ayrshire, has twelve of them, not round but oval shaped. We may be able to make a trade of some sort. In the mean time I have forsaken cans, jars and bottles in my struggle to form beautiful meat pie shells. I will be in touch with McKimmie to place an order for his lovely pie shells. Would anyone besides myself like to know how McKImmie forms his shells so nicely?

Best wishes to all,
agonybag
Hello Agonybag -

Thank you for the favorable review of the shells, and the order! I sent today via FedEx, and they are scheduled to arrive on Thursday, August 24 by end of day. I will send you the tracking number in a seperate email.
Good luck while experimenting with the filling, and please let me know when you need more shells.

Cheers!
MacKimmie
Old 4th July 2008, 23:45

Pie shells

I can make the pie shells but how do you keep them from spreading do you use the mold to shape them and bake them would really be interested in that.
Agnes
Old 5th July 2008, 17:42

Hello. I am not sure what you mean by spreading. Could you clarify what the shells are doing? We simply make the shells and they are ready to be filled with the meat pie filing. I will try to help if I have a better understanding of what is wrong.

Thanks,

MacKimmie