Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Cuisine

Notices

Scottish Meat Pie recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 8th July 2006, 18:37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKimmie
Father_of_Eowyn - I am new to this forum, and understand that this post has some age on it, but if you are still out there, I own a couple of the machines that make the free standing pie shells that you are referring to. We currently sell to Scottish Pubs in my area, and would be glad to talk with you as well if you are interested for your personal/business use. This method is the authentic way of making, and much less hassle than trying to form using a glass or soup can. We have dies to make both the small and large sizes.

Thanks

As Father_of_Eowyn has only posted twice in all the time he has been here I suggest that
you try and e-mail him from the site to see if he is still interested in the pies....one thought
is that he may not allow e-mails to be sent to him !!

---------------------------------------------------------------

I always thought shells related to the sea...
Old 8th July 2006, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwarth
Well, they aren't a machine, for a start! They are metal moulds.

Hello again Polwarth - Maybe the word "machine" sent the wrong message. Our device also consists of a metal mould that is heated using electricity to assist in creating a free standing pie shell. I will attempt to attach a picture of our smaller sized pastry shell that I took with my camera phone. Not the best picture, but hopefully will give you a visual of what we are making. Again, we have two sizes, the other being the 3.5 inch diameter. We also make the lids. Do you have a picture of what type of shells you make so I can understand how they differ? Also, can you share what sizes you make? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meat pie shell.jpg (72.4 KB, 2921 views)
Old 8th July 2006, 22:56

I have metal 'cups'. They are about 3.5 or 4.00 inches in diameter. They are about 4 inches deep. They are hollow, like the crumpet rings I use, but deeper. Yours appear to be a comercial instrument to make 'shells' which you then fill. Mine are moulds in whch I mould the pastry, then fill and then put the lid on.
Old 9th July 2006, 17:08

Meat pie shells

Hello McKimmie,

Would you post a picture of your pie shell "machine" "mould" or "device" ?Whatever is the correct term to use. Where can one purchase such a device?

Do you know of any retailers who sell to the home consumer market in the USA? Any information you ca pass along to us will be very much appreciated.

Your pie shell looks almost perfect. Ihave never been able to produce such a uniform shell using cans and jars as my moulds.

agonybags

QUOTE=MacKimmie]Hello again Polwarth - Maybe the word "machine" sent the wrong message. Our device also consists of a metal mould that is heated using electricity to assist in creating a free standing pie shell. I will attempt to attach a picture of our smaller sized pastry shell that I took with my camera phone. Not the best picture, but hopefully will give you a visual of what we are making. Again, we have two sizes, the other being the 3.5 inch diameter. We also make the lids. Do you have a picture of what type of shells you make so I can understand how they differ? Also, can you share what sizes you make? Thanks.[/quote]
Old 10th July 2006, 03:43

[quote=agonybag]Hello McKimmie,

Your pie shell looks almost perfect. Ihave never been able to produce such a uniform shell using cans and jars as my moulds.

agonybags

Hello agonybag - Thank you for the compliment on our shells! As the situation is with Polwarth, our pie making device was something that I ended up with as a result of influence from my grandparents. It's origin is somewhat mystical to say the least. I could send you samples of the shells if your location is within the continental US. You can email me at mackimmies@mindspring.com with a delivery address, and I could send you several samples of each if interested. Just let me know.

MacKimmie

Last edited by MacKimmie; 21st February 2007 at 14:33.
Old 11th July 2006, 04:20

Scottish meat pies

I was drawn to this web site pursueing information on three subjects - fishing in the highlands, food and single malts. As a part of that search I have been following the meat pie exchange between Polwarth and MacKimmie. In order to insert my two cents worth I have registered as one of your newest members.

I note that Polwarth is and has been a faithful, active Scotland.com participant for a number of years unselfishly sharing and mentoring others with a wealth of Scottish cuisine history. This knowledgeable resource reflects positively on Polwarth and this forum. I can assure you if Polwarth has written a book or plans to write a book on this subject, I want to buy a copy.

MacKimmie brings up a meat pie topic which warrants additional discussion and may be of interest to meat pie fans. If you exclude Scottish sweets, cakes and such, I venture the meat pie would rank high in a popularity poll of Scots fare. While the meat pie will never replace the "Great Chieftain o' the puddin' race" in Scots culinary hierarchy, the meat pie can certainly hold its own with what Robert Burns touted as the common man with whom I align my allegiance.
Regards, Dingwall
Old 11th July 2006, 08:17

BLUSH...