Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Cuisine

Notices

Scottish Meat Pie recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17th October 2004, 23:04

Why not just use heavy based glasses or jam jars, as suggested in the recipe I posted above?
Old 7th December 2004, 17:05

Imports

Mite try contacting this place to see if they can import the pie tins for you---http://www.gaelicimports.com/

I have found them to very helpful!
Old 3rd January 2005, 16:47

I am an exiled Glaswegian living in deep South Texas with absolutely no culinary skills.

I have been spectacularly unsuccessful in being able to purchase a decent steak pie in America and have now decided that the only option is to make it myself !!

The Steak Pies that my mother made (and, also, the pies that we purchased back in Glasgow) had a "doughy" pastry lining the pie dish as well as the puff or flaky pastry topping the pie. How dow you make this doughy pastry for the dish lining ?
Old 7th July 2006, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father_of_Eowyn
Just found these forums!

I've been looking for a recipe for Scottish Meat Pies, but have so far been unsuccessful. Most of the recipes I have seen have them being made with crimps on the side. I was wanting the recipe that make a 4-inch (or so) round pastry with the filling in the middle. (I've seen them this way at various Scottish fairs here in the US.)

Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

Father_of_Eowyn - I am new to this forum, and understand that this post has some age on it, but if you are still out there, I own a couple of the machines that make the free standing pie shells that you are referring to. We currently sell to Scottish Pubs in my area, and would be glad to talk with you as well if you are interested for your personal/business use. This method is the authentic way of making, and much less hassle than trying to form using a glass or soup can. We have dies to make both the small and large sizes.

Thanks
Old 7th July 2006, 22:08

McKimmie
You are selling 'commercial' pie moulds.... not the same thing AT ALL as our family pie-making!
Old 8th July 2006, 03:51

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwarth
McKimmie
You are selling 'commercial' pie moulds.... not the same thing AT ALL as our family pie-making!

Hello Polwarth. Thank you for the welcome. My family is from Greenock, so I am familiar with meat pies and their shells as I know them. As part of an educational inquiry, how does your granny's shell differ from that that I suggest?

MACKIMMIE
Old 8th July 2006, 15:45

Well, they aren't a machine, for a start! They are metal moulds.