Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Cuisine

Notices

Hard Boiled Eggs

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th April 2004, 02:57

Question

[i]Easy you say? lol..

Well then this is gonna sound like the most stupidest question ever.. lol.. And please, if I'm not alone on this one.. lol.. tell me.. cause I do think I'm going nuts!

It seems sometimes they come out perfect, peel perfect and everything.. then there are times, when cooking them the same exact way, I can't peel them for poop .. I waste about .. gods.. tons of eggs.. lol..

I am a big eater of just Egg Whites.. aye I throw away the yoke.. but I cannot understand one way or the other why this keeps happening..

I put the eggs in the pot then fill it with water. Bring the water to a boil, then time it from 10 to 12 minutes.. lol.. depending on if I forget.. Anyway.. that is how everyone tells me they do it as well..

The problem I think is some eggs are fresher then others, thus that silly skin just under the shell won't peel away from the egg, thus causing me to ruin the entire egg.. till im totally annoyed and just toss it in the garbage..

Does anyone know.. Is it cause the eggs are TOO FRESH that the skin wont peel off.. or is it that they are not fresh? and either way, is there anything that I can do to prevent this?

Help
Old 10th April 2004, 07:15
Super Moderator

If you let them set to room temp and poke a small hole in the narrower tip, that sometimes helps as it allows hot water to get inside. There is no way you can determine the freshness of store bought eggs, they can be a week or several weeks old when you get them. I think the fresher they are the better. I also let them soak in running cold water for a while, after they are done cooking. I also allow about 5 extra, I know I will mess some up and sometimes the whites are pretty thin and don't work for stuffing. I save the mistakes for egg salad or what ever.

Here are some tips I found.....

HARD-BOILED EGGS

Place eggs and cold water in a pot (be sure to cover eggs with at least 1/2" of water). Bring to boil, then turn heat down to simmer. For large eggs, simmer for 6 minutes, then using a knife handle, break all the shells in several places. Finish simmering for an additional 9 minutes. When finished cooking, run COLD water into the pot and let eggs cool.

TO HARD-BOIL EGGS:

Bring enough water to cover the eggs by one inch to a boil in a medium saucepan. Using a ladle, gently lower the desired number of eggs into the boiling water. Cook for 9 minutes for a slightly soft center or 10 minutes for a firmer center. These times are accurate for up to 20 eggs in one pot.

Immediately remove the eggs from the boiling water
(keep the water boiling) and place in a bath of very cold water under a running faucet for 2 minutes.

Gently lower the eggs back into the boiling waater for 10 seconds. Return the eggs to the cold water bath, gently cracking them, for at least 2 minutes. Keeping the eggs in the cold water bath longer is fine, but will cool the inside of the egg.

The first chilling makes the whites shrink from the shells, while plunging the eggs into the boiling water a second time expands the shell and allows it to pull away from the egg.

Peel the eggs under a stream of cold running water or in the cold water bath. They are also easy to peel later, without the water.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Old 10th April 2004, 11:57

Quote:
Originally posted by kathyv If you let them set to room temp and poke a small hole in the narrower tip
Fuxache! The conversations one gets into! I always put a pinhole in the blunt end before putting it in the water - that allows the air to escape from the airsac and prevents cracking.

Anyway, I recommend the 'Egg-Perfect' timer:

http://www.thewhitewhale.com/product...fect-timer.htm

It's a blob of plastic that changes colour with exposure to heat. You have to practise to find the colour change that's right for your taste but it allows you to start with cold water (which also helps prevent cracking)

Quote:
Peel the eggs under a stream of cold running water
That works for me!

BTW, you might be amused by some research I'm involved in:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/publications/le...dge/2/egg.html

Old 19th April 2004, 02:48

[i]Thanks you guys

But I have done all that you two have suggested, other then the hole punching thingy..

But I need to ask.. I have had eggs get a wee bit cracked while boiling, and it gets all yucky in the pot.. The eggs starts coming out while its still boiling, so if I pop a pin hole in it before boiling it.. wont it run all over the place? lol.. or am I actually not reading this right.. lol..

You both suggested putting the pin hole in the egg before its cooked right?

lol.. And yea.. some conversations are nutty.. but man I do eat alot of egg whites and I am just going thru so many eggs cause I can't peel them..
Old 19th April 2004, 06:35

Hi ya Mistress to stop it going wierd in the pot add 2 pinches of salt and 2 tea spoons of white vineger , the salt increases the heat of the water and the vineger will set the egg in the shell
bye
bsmart
Old 19th April 2004, 18:41

No problem with that. However, if a long crack forms suddenly, which is more likely if you raise the temperature by adding salt, you may still get some egg seeping out before the vinegar can do its thing.

As to the hole before boiling:

At the blunt end of the egg there's an airsac containing a bubble of air - see http://www.kidwings.com/eggs/eggdevelopment/egg.htm . The membrane that encloses the egg itself isn't attached to the shell at the blunt end - it separates the air in the airsac from the rest of the contents. The airsac is there to help prevent the egg from drying out before hatching and also gives the emerging chick its first breath of air (not that that matters if you're boiling it). So, if you put a pinhole in the blunt end and then heat the egg in water, the air will bubble out and relieve the internal pressure that would otherwise build up and cause cracking. If enough air escapes, the membrane will come into contact with the shell but, provided the hole is just a pinhole, it won't protrude.

Of course, I assume you only buy free-range eggs anyway. Apart from the animal welfare issue, the shells are stronger. However, it's still worth piercing the blunt end - especially if you want to drop the egg into boiling water (which causes a thermal shock that increases the risk of cracking). With the little gadget I mentioned, you can start with the eggs in cold water and still get perfect results, irrespective of the cooker setting or the initial temperature of the water.

Fuxache - should we move this to Sci+Tech? A new thread for Food Sci + Tech, perhaps?

Old 19th April 2004, 21:25
Super Moderator

OR

The Chemistry of Cuisine?!

As long as there is just the one hole, unless you have inserted air into the egg, it will not leak out. A crack will move air and water both into the egg. That will displace the insides of the egg.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!