Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Cuisine

Notices

Questions about Deep Fried Mars Bars

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 7th January 2005, 19:03

LOL Holly. Funny you should say that as it was an American that wrote the article.
Old 8th January 2005, 00:58

Well the Italians had something very similar to pizza b.p. (before pizza)... focaccia... it's easy to make. It's a flatbread with olive oil on top and some toppings... there are a lot of variations but it might have something like onions and rosemary or green and dark olives. But it's more like a flavored bread than pizza.

Does anyone do their own deep frying?
Old 8th January 2005, 13:44

Quote:
Originally posted by HollyElise

Interesting article, thank you!

...but i'd like to note the author made a small but common mistake.... pizza is not technically Italian, but American. It was invented by Italian immigrants in NYC.

Don't let the natives of Naples hear you saying that, HollyElise They claim they 'invented' the modern pizza over 300 years ago (according to a couple of pizza places I have visited in Napoli) and that the Italians copied the idea of flat bread with cheese and olives melted on top and seasoned with herbs from the Ancient Greeks (no tomatoes in those days - that is the New World contribution to the pizza and an essential, I think).

I agree that some of the more exotic toppings are a purely American invention - whether started by Italian immigrants or not!
Old 8th January 2005, 13:49

so many foods are changed "just a little at a time" too, so how would anyone actually know when a "pizza" is officially a pizza?

maybe when it's eaten!

Have you ever made one?
Old 8th January 2005, 23:16

Yes - I've made pizzas - and was taught by a Neapolitan. Well, he was born there and grew up there - ended up staying in Edinburgh after his time as a PoW in WWII. Married an Edinburgh lassie and opening first a couple of coffee bars, then chip shops then restaurants...

In Edinburgh we have one of the best foodie places on earth, Valvona and Crolla - and yes, I am biased
http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/
Old 9th January 2005, 00:34

sending that link was just plain, mean!

I think i can smell the kitchen from here, but dang it! I can't reach the table!

LOLOLOLOL

I've tried to make pizzas... ages ago i had three roomies who worked in a pizza shop, but i'm still working on getting a better crust... next time, i think i'll have it!

I'm definitely going to make a point of going to Valvona & Crolla when i travel!