Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

Notman clan and Juniper Green

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21st March 2002, 21:09

Question

I am researching my family tree, my mother's father was a Notman, Thomas Notman. He was born in Edinburgh in 1909, his Grandparents were wed in Curriemuireud, Coliston, ??, in 1877. Their names were Thomas Notman and Jessie Mitchell. They had eight children,(Thomas, John, Charles, Robert, Hugh, George, James, and Margaret). The second generation Thomas had 3 boys(Thomas, James and Peter). My family owned a large property called Juniper Green until 1962, when it was expropriated. I have lots more names to throw out there, but if anyone can give me even the smallest bit of information...it would so appreciated. Thank you~!
Old 22nd March 2002, 01:45
Neil_Caple

You can use http://www.scotsorigins.com/ to research Scottish records of births, marriages and deaths online. The cost is $10 per day for unlimited searches.

What do you mean the property was expropriated?
Old 22nd March 2002, 10:35

I was brought up in Colinton village which is a suburb of Edinburgh. Juniper Green was a village further outside Edinburgh, which is now almost subsumed into Greater Edinburgh.... I have family who lived there until recently and I can assure you that they owned their houses and therefore had no landlords! So, I wonder if your story may be a little confused, as it was some time ago. Maybe your family owned property or farming land in and around the village? Currie is also in the same area, but I have not heard of Curriemuiread - but that isn't to say it doesn't exist, just that I have no personal knowledge of that name - it just doesn't sound very Scots... maybe it is Currie Muirhead- but I've never heard of anywhere called that, either.

If you have any other clues, post them here and someone may be able to help you further.
Old 24th March 2002, 00:10

Found your Curriemuirend

From the 1881 Census have found the following
there was a place called "Curriemuirend Inn" at Colinton
the Inn was run by a german born Spirit dealer age 30 but was a British Subject. This is the only reference to the name Curriemuirend I could find.

Marhar
Old 24th March 2002, 10:35

That's interesting, Marhar. I can't think where that pub might have been situated - because the village is very small and there are only 2 - the Colinton Inn and the Spylaw Inn. Mind, a lot of the old cottages have gone, maybe it was in that area.

Did it have an address in the records?
Old 24th March 2002, 13:57

That was the address given in 1881 census
Curriemuirend Inn, Colinton, Edinburgh, Scotland.
His name was Charles Greiner age 30 and with his second wife Maria age 30 also German and their 4 children who born in Edinburgh. In 1881 Colinton was quite a large parish, by the amount of persons living there.their next door neighbours were Asa Wass and family and lived at Spyfield cottage Colinton
Marhar
Old 24th March 2002, 23:35

That's interesting, Marhar, thanks. Spyfield - I wonder if that was near what is now called Spylaw? The Spylaw Inn is still there - wonder if it underwent a change of name because it is sited where the road leaves the actual village (not the parish) on the way to Juniper Green, Currie and beyond!