Notices

Notman clan and Juniper Green

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25th March 2002, 01:34
Neil_Caple

From the Gazetteer for Scotland

Colinton
City of Edinburgh

Originally a ford and mill village lying in a steep-sided valley cut by the Water of Leith, some 4 miles (6 km) south west of central Edinburgh, Colinton has grown into a sizeable and desirable residential suburb of the city. The mills included those for textiles, snuff and paper, indeed the Bank of Scotland's first bank-notes were said to have been printed on paper produced at Colinton.

Today, the road crosses the river high above the old village, with Spylaw Street descending to the old village, the historic Parish Church and Colinton Dell.

In 1874, the Caledonian railway built a spur from Slateford to Balerno, with a station at Colinton. Passenger services ceased in 1943 and the line finally closed when goods trains stopped in the 1960s.

Colinton Castle was destroyed by Oliver Cromwell (1599 - 1654) in 1650, but repaired only to be partially demolished on the instructions of painter Alexander Nasmyth (1758 - 1801) to create a picturesque ruin.

Redford Barracks lie on Colinton Road, just to the east of the old village. Philanthropist James Gillespie (1726-97) had his home and business in the village. The author Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-94) is known to have been a regular visitor to the village, his maternal grand-father having been the parish minister. The architect Sir Robert Rowand Anderson (1834 - 1921) also lived here and worked on various buildings in the village. There are also cottage-style villas on Colinton Road by another noted architect Sir Robert Lorimer (1864 - 1921).

Today, Colinton is a designated conservation area.
http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/town...first2722.html

Colinton Parish Church (St. Cuthbert's Parish Church)

Lying close to the Water of Leith in the old village of Colinton is St. Cuthbert's Parish Church. Founded as the Church of Halis (Hailes) around 1095 by Elthelred, third son of Malcolm Canmore and Queen Margaret, but not dedicated until 1248. The church was possibly destroyed during the Earl of Hertford's invasion (1544) and certainly replaced around 1650, most-likely having been damaged by the army of Oliver Cromwell (1599 - 1654). It was rebuilt again in 1771 and altered in 1837 by architect David Bryce (1803-76), who built the tower. The church was rebuilt for the final time in 1908, by Sydney Mitchell, and the interior redesigned in a neo-Byzantine style. New halls, function rooms and offices were built alongside the church in 1998.

Dr Lewis Balfour, maternal grand-father of author Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-94), was minister here between 1823-60 and is buried in the kirkyard. This contains several 17th and 18th C. memorials, including the mausoleum of philanthropist James Gillespie (1726-97). The earliest memorial has been placed in the church and dates from 1593.
http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/feat...first8539.html

Colinton Dell

Colinton Dell is a steep-sided gorge and wildlife refuge on the Water of Leith, just north of the old village of Colinton. It runs from the Colinton Parish Church towards Slateford along the Water of Leith Walkway and the extends to 10 ha (25 acres). The Dell includes mature and ancient mixed woodland and the protection afforded by the high banks and thick undergrowth make it a natural habitat for wildlife, including numerous bird species and amphibians, voles, weasels, stoats and occasionally roe deer.

Today walkways and a cycle path take visitors to the ruined Redhall Mill and past Kate's Mill, where the paper for the Bank of Scotland's first bank-notes is said to have been made.
http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/feat...first8548.html

Old 25th March 2002, 11:15

Neil

I am sure the original poster will be pleased with the information you have supplied.

It was the area around Spylaw that intrigued me - the Spylaw Inn is still there, but it is almost into Spylaw Park (part of Colinton Dell) - I am assuming the Inn mentioned was on the far side of the Dell, ie on the road out to the Juniper Green area.

As a matter of interest, on 11 SeptemberI was sitting having lunch in the Spylaw Inn, with my sister and her friend who were home from Australia when the awful news of the Twin Towers came on the TV news.. we couldn't eat anything that we'd ordered and just sat there in absolute shock. Just 5 days earlier, my sister and her friend had been on a trip up one of the twin towers and took photographs from the river. They hadn't even had the photographs developed.
Old 25th March 2002, 14:29

Regarding Notman Information and Juniper Green

You people are incredible!!! I can't thank you enough for all the amazing information you have been posting! This has been a slow going process for me, my grandfather's family were ones who didn't like to talk about things in the past much, I have one surviving great Uncle Jim(my grandfather's brother)...on Easter Sunday, I'm going to see just how much information I can maybe get him to give me. He was quite young when he left Juniper Green so we'll see.
First, I would like to post an apology to Polwarth...I never meant to upset anyone with the Juniper Green thing. I'm sorry if I implied that my family owned the entire area, I didn't mean to do that. You see, I just found out that it still exists last week! I assumed that when it was taken over from my grandfather, Juniper Green was gone. Not so. This is what I have....whatever property my family had in Juniper Green, there were 8 houses(or buildings) on it. Quite a bit of my family lived there. I know for sure that Thomas Notman(2nd generation) who married Margaret Maxwell in November of 1908...I have the original marriage certificate but it says this Curriemuireud???? This document is very old so I will look at again this weekend(I've left some of my research at my mum's place)and repost with that town name. They lived at Juniper Green, and had 3 boys, Thomas(my grandfather), James(my great uncle who's alive) and Peter. (as well as a number of cousins)My great grandmother(Margaret) died soon after the birth of Peter and then my great grandfather died a couple of years later from Influenza...the three boys were sent to Quarriers home Orphanage so they wouldn't be "split up" amongst family. A large number of Notmans are still at Juniper Green at this point. Approximately 1917? Flash forward to 1962....my grandfather is contacted by some lawyer and tells him that the property in Juniper Green is still there with 8 buildings on it that are "uninhabitable for humans" and he MUST sell it to allow for expansion...
The deed was still in Margaret Notmans name at this time from what I can tell and they deemed my grandfather and his two brothers the only surviving family. My grandfather did not want to sell but the lawyer insisted he had to and was prepared to go to court over it. My grandfather did not have the funds to obtain counsel, fight in court let alone fly over to Scotland to do it. In the end it was sold. I have the lawyers name and all the communication at me mum's house and will check it out this weekend.
Apparently there is a surviving James Notman in Edinburgh who I am trying to find...that is my goal today....

Thank you Marhar and everyone else for everything I look forward to more reading.
Goodday to all
Old 25th March 2002, 14:53

You certainly didn't upset me, I apologise if I gave you that impression!

I have just accessed the directory enquiry service on
http://www.bt.com/directory-enquiries/dq_home.jsp - I keyed in Notman, J and got loads of notmans!

You can have 10 free 'lookups' per session - have a go, you never know, you might find the person you are looking for!

Best wishes with your search.
Old 25th March 2002, 17:14

A Huge thank you!!!

Hi Polwarth...
Thank you soooo much for the tip, I'm going to check it out right away!!!

I'll be in touch soon
Old 4th October 2013, 22:32

Curriemuirend

Hello,

I know I am years late with this response, but I have learned that Juniper Green used to be referred to as Curriemuirend.

Juniper Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Juniper Green's earliest mention is in the Kirk records of Colinton in 1707. However it is largely called Curriemuirend up until the end of the 18th century and the area only really developed as a village from around 1810"

Thought I'd share for anyone else who comes across this name.

Thank you,
Angela

Leaves of Heritage Genealogy
Old 4th October 2013, 23:52

My family was only resident in Colinton and Juniper Green from the beginning of the twentieth century, before that they all lived in the highlands.

I don't think the original poster has been back for many, many years

Last edited by Polwarth; 5th October 2013 at 12:48.