Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

ANY STEELE'S ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19th December 2001, 20:58

Cool

Hello to all!

Just curious to know if there are any Steele's out there.

yes, it is scottish. I recently traced my family tree all the way back to scotland. all the way back to 1720. to William Steele born in scotland in 1720. came to america in 1736. I am ninth generation steele. he came from the steele clan near the border of england and scotland.

thanks
Old 10th June 2004, 16:55

Family history

Good morning

Looking for Harden Steele, Kentucky era 1830's married
to Winna A. Steele maiden name Howell

One more question, Is Steele German,Irish,or Scot?

CSM
Old 12th June 2004, 13:29

My GGF, James Steele, came to Canada from West Linton, Peebleshire (Borders) Scotland circa 1850. He raised his family in Huron Township, Bruce County, Ontario, Canada....mebbe we are related ?
Don.
Old 10th August 2004, 10:50

I'm a Steele

I am a Steele from my Dad's mom's father's side. They lived in Dorchester, Ontario Canada in the 1850's.
Old 22nd August 2004, 13:45

Wink

Hi there my husband is a steele we live in New Zealand his father James steele came from scotland. Not sure what year he came to New Zealand. Anyone out there can help me. Would be great if you can cheers keri.
Old 20th September 2004, 15:00

Hello
I would have thought that your f-i-l would still have relatives back in Scotland, but maybe they lost contact?
Assuming that your father-in-law was born in Scotland, you should be able to go to the Register General's website. All Scottish births/deaths/marriages are registered there, and you should be able to find out details of where he was born. It would help if you knew the exact year, but an approximate date might be enough! They make a charge, but it is not too expensive.

At least you would then find out the exact location and this might help you take your research a little further, such as his mother and father's name - at least it would get you back another one generation! Good luck!

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/
Old 2nd October 2004, 17:00

Thumbs up I am descended from William Steele of Scotland

Hi,

I am James Harold Dalton Steele (age 57)living in Manchester in the UK, my father is Harold Dalton Steele (now aged 80), his father was William Dalton Steele (who had 6 children - 3 boys Harold, Clifford and Kenneth and 3 girls Nellie, Elsie and Irene) and his father before him was William Steele who was, I am told, disowned by his Scottish father when he ran off with the household maid. I think he must have been the black sheep of the family!

One of his brothers my great, great, great uncle went to America but I do not know where. He would have gone to the States - Canada or The USA around the 1850s possibly 1854/5.

The eldest son of the eldest son inherits the middle name of Dalton and as far as have been told this came from William the elder marrying into the Royal Doulton pottery family - the name was apparently mis-spelt later on one of the son's birth certificates making it Dalton. I cannot however verify this as fact.

My son, Mark James Dalton Steele will hopefully carry the line of Steele's to the next generation. My daughter has married into the Smith family and my first grandson is Ben Smith.