Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

ANY STEELE'S ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 6th October 2004, 12:25

My father in law was James Mcintyre Steele,he was born 1914 in Haggs Stirling I think the address was 33 Anderson Terrace. His dads name was James Steele A coal Miner.His mothers name was Beathea Steele, Her maiden name was Beathea Curragh. James Mcintyre Steele came to New zealand and married Margaret Jane Anderson at the age 46. They had one son Anthony James Steele . we are hoping someone out there can help us find any family left in scotland .
Old 29th May 2013, 16:24

I ran across this old thread, and thought I would reply just in case.

My Grandfather was Ray O. Steele born in Kingman , KS in the late 1880s, raised in MO and later lived in Milo, IA He had two brothers, Walt and Garrett, and a sister Minnie. His Father was John Jones Steele born in 1842 in Pennsylvania, if I recall correctly.

I have very little family history beyond this other than my Grandfather telling me that we were of Scot-Irish heritage. He also told me that his Father John Jones Steele was a very large man, well over 6' and 300+ lb. The locals referred to him as the Big Scotsman.

Ron

Last edited by Ron Smith; 30th May 2013 at 14:47.
Old 30th May 2013, 19:51

Hello and welcome to the site.

There are a couple of stickies at the top of some of the fora, with ideas of how to take your research back to earlier generations. Those of us who are Scottish born are in the enviable position of having our family records easily searchable!
Old 9th June 2014, 22:54

Robert James Scott Steele

I am Robert James Scott Steele, my father was Robert John Steele born Cadogan Alberta Canada 1916, GF Robert James Steele born to the Manor House Bally Carry N. IRE mid 1800's, GGF Robert Joseph dates unk born to the Manor House Bally Carry N. IRE.

We would love to trace our line back. Verbal history says that We are Robert J. Steele for nine generations, eldest male child always a Robert J. Steele, thus never a Jr, or Senoir, etc. From the 1600's we were a direct unbroken line to the Clan Laird, we were Covenanters, the Laird was ordered by the Crown to renounce faith or abdicate, The Laird took his wealth and bought the Manor and farms in Ireland and moved the Family there.

Obviously this is verbal history and we only have tracings back to the 1800's. Looking for any contacts to help establish what the history and lineage was.
Old 9th June 2014, 23:22

Sorry, I cannot help with your particular family history, but it would appear that Steel or Steele is considered a seot of Clan Gordon.
Old 3rd May 2015, 08:46

Calum Steele here
My dad William Steele was born in Renfrewshire in '51 as was his twin David Steele and elder brother Alistair Steele oh and sister Katherine. Grandad was from err I forget the exact place but somewhere in the Low Lands [made for great fun during the war as they accidentally put him in a Highlander Brigade :L] and Granny on the Scottish boarder but the English side.
Mums side all come from New Zealand, some of the Steele's albeit very distant cousins are in Aussie but c'est la vie. Mum's side originally [go back a few centuries] come from Scotland though
Me im a good old fashioned Englishman though I'm afraid born down in the south east :P