Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

What Clan do I belong to??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14th November 2001, 20:35

Talking

My last name is Allan. My grandfather was George Allan from the Fife region. He moved to the United States in the early 1900's when I am not sure. I know that he came from a large family. I do not know much about him as he died when I was born. If there is anyone that knows of the Allan family and if there are any who might be related and can help me with my family history I would greatly appericate it.

Thanks in advance,

Robert Allan II
Old 15th November 2001, 14:36

well...

My surname is Allan and I'm from Fife.
My clan is MacDonald of Clanranald.
Old 16th November 2001, 14:12

Smile

Hello Ceud,

I suppose that we might be cousins or atleast related in some fashion. I know nothing about my grandfather or his relatives except that we are Scottish and I would really like to know more about my family history. I am very interested in my family as I am the last Allan male in my direct family tree. As of right now my family ends with me. Is there anything that you can tell me about our family name. How do I find out if I am part of the MacDonald Clan? If you would please let me know.

Sincerely,

Robert
Old 16th November 2001, 18:26

Allan is a Sept of the MacDonald Clan, here is a bit of background

MacDONALD of CLANRANALD

Motto: My hope is constant in thee

Origin of name: Gaelic Domhnull (World ruler)

The Lord of the Isles, John MacDonald, married Amy MacRuari and they had three sons. Ranald, the youngest, was the progenitor of the Houses of Clanranald and Glengarry.

Ranald was set to inherit extensive lands from his mother's side as the only surviving child. However, he decided to hold only part of the land, including Moidart, Lochaber and Arisaig, allowing the succession to go to his younger half-brother Donald around 1373.

From his five sons, Donald founded the Glengarry line, and his eldest son Alan became the Chief of Clanranald.

In 1544, a dispute over rule of the clan culminated in the Battle of the Field of Shirts. The battle took place on a day so hot that the warriors were forced to remove their heavy tartans. They fought in just their long linen shirts, hence the name.

The MacDonald of Clanranald line died out in 1944.

Marhar

Old 16th November 2001, 18:39

Here is a full list of the clan and its Septs

Clan MacDonald
Beath, Beaton, Bethune, Bowie, Colson, Connall, Connell, Darroch, Donald, Donaldson, Donillson, Donnelson, Drain, Galbraith, Gilbride, Gorrie, Gowan, Gowrie, Hawthorn, Hewison, Houstoun, Howison, Hughson, Hutcheonson, Hutchinson, Hutchison, Isles, Kellie, Kelly, Kinnell, Mac a' Challies, MacBeth, MacBeath, MacBheath, MacBride, MacCaishe, MacCall, MacCash, MacCeallaich, MacCodrum, MacColl, MacConnell, MacCook, MacCooish, MacCrain, MacCuag, MacCuish, MacCuitein, MacCutcheon, MacDaniell, Macdrain, MacEachern, MacElfrish, MacElheran, MacGorrie, MacGorry, MacGoun, MacGowan, MacGown, MacHugh, MacHutchen, MacHutcheon, MacIan, Macilreach, Macilriach, Macilleriach, Macilrevie, Macilvride, Macilwraith, MacKean, MacKellachie, MacKellaig, MacKelloch, MacKiggan, MacKinnell, MacLairish, MacLardie, MacLardy, MacLarty, MacLaverty, MacLeverty, MacMurchie, MacMurdo, MacMurdoch, MacO'Shannaig, MacQuistan, MacQuisten, MacRaith, MacRorie, MacRory, MacRuer, MacRurie, MacShannachan, MacSorley, MacSporran, MacSwan, MacWhannell, Martin, May, Murchie, Murchison, Murdoch, Murdoson, O'Drain, O'May, O'Shannachan, O'Shaig, O'Shannaig, Purcell, Revie, Reoch, Riach, Rorison, Shannon, Sorley, Sporran, Train, Whannel.

Clan MacDonald of Clanranald: Allan, Allanson, Currie, MacAllan, MacBurie, MacEachin, MacGeachie, MacGeachin, MacIssac, MacKeachan, Mackechnie, MacKeochan, MacKessock, MacKichan, MacKissock, MacMurrich, MacVarish, MacVurrich, MacVurie.

Clan MacDonald of Ardnamurchan: Johnson, Kean, Keene.

Clan MacDonald of Glencoe: Henderson, Johnson, Kean, Keene, MacHenry, MacIan, MacKean.

They could all be relations of yours

Marhar

Old 19th November 2001, 13:26

Smile

Marhar,

Thank you for all the information on my family. You are a GOD send for having so much knowledge about families of Scotland. May I ask how you have found all this information out about my family. Are you the keeper of records or do you teach history? Is there somewhere that I might look up this information to expand my family history a bit father than back to my grandfather? I can not even begin to thank you for atleast giving me some idea of where my family has come from.

Thanks,

Robert J. Allan II
Old 17th December 2014, 16:32

Robert,

I don't know if you remember me but I am your cousin Scott Allan Coughlin. We share the same grandparents, George & "Tillie" Allan. They lived on Lake Shangrila in WI. My mom (Barbara Ann) was your father's older sister. Your father is my Uncle Robert. I remember your dad being in the Army and being stationed at Ft. Sheridan. I believe your mother's name was Sue? Your Aunt Barbara Ann married Ken Coughlin, but everyone called him "Buster".

Here is a link that might help you get started looking into your grandparents and their ancestry.

George Alexander Allan

George Alexander Allan's father's name was also George Alexander Allan from county Fife Scotland.

Sincerely,

Scott Allan Coughlin