Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

Questionnare for Scottish men!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30th May 2013, 10:42

Question Questionnare for Scottish men!

Hi!
I am from Finland and I am a visiting student in the University of Edinburgh. We are doing a little project about kilts and clans in Scotland and we would like to have some statistics on the use of kilts and on people's opinions on kilts. We are doing interviews in the streets of Edinburgh, but it would be great if some men living in Scotland could answer a few questions in here, too.

1. How long have you lived in Scotland?
2. Do you consider yourself belonging to a clan?
3. Have you got a kilt?
- IF YES: In what kinds of events/occasions have you worn it?
- IF NO: Have you ever worn one?
4. How would you describe the kilt? Is it, for example, a formal or informal outfit, a national symbol, a fashion statement?
5. What is your opinion on the kilt nowadays being a commercial product? (Meaning that it is now being sold, for example, for tourists as a souvenir?

Thank you!
Old 30th May 2013, 14:21

1. 42 years
2. no
3. not any more...got one for my bothers wedding years ago...dont know what happened to it...only wore it once i think
4. a national symbol and an informal outfit
5. its simple profiteering and very tacky, it also belittles the people who wear them regularly as normal daily clothing.
Old 31st May 2013, 00:03

1. All my Life. 46.
2. Nope. See my post about my surname - Scots (doric) and Scandinavian languge
3. Yes. Worn very rarely, at weddings and black tie events.
4. Formal dress as far as I'm concerned, and a Scottish icon too. Looks outstanding on the military, regimental marching and pipe bands etc. I'm not a highlander or Gael myself, and the kilt is really the mark of a highland gentleman rather than a lowland Scot like me, but I hope I don't offend anyone when the 'One Scotland' takes over and I find myself in a kilt. I try to respect all facets of Scottish culture, and hope they don't mind if I blur the edges now and then.
5. Modern kilts aren't really kilts. They are cheap imitations made with less fabric of greatly inferior quality. But isn't everything like that these days? A good kilt will set you back a bit, but it's worth it for the feeling of a heavy and good quality garment. It's the same difference between a cheap suit and a good tweed. Which industry would you prefer to have around tomorrow? Cheapness is as far away from value as luxury is at the other extreme.
Old 20th January 2014, 22:13

1. I don't.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. Weddings.
4. It can be formal or informal, depending on what it is worn with.
5. Great!
Old 21st January 2014, 16:24

1. About 45 years - the only time I've lived outwith Scotland was when I was in the army.
2. I'm aware of my clan's history and where they came from etc. but it's not something I regard as being very important.
3. No and I've never worn one.
4. A formal outfit that's become a national symbol probably due to the Victorian fascination with highland culture rather than because it was a genuine part of our national heritage.
5. I don't suppose it does any harm if it is sold to tourists who have a romanticised idea of Scottish history but I think they are buying into something that they believe represents our national culture when in reality it's a manufactured tradition. Most lowland Scots throughout the ages would have considered the kilt as being a symbol of "Irish" highlanders rather than the Scottish nation.

- Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 30th January 2014, 06:10

1. Lived in Scotland up till age 30. Then London, then Holland, then London, then Hong Kong, then London, then Indonesia, then London, then Philippines, then London, since 2006 - Oman.

2. Yes - especially as before my dad, generations of my paternal family all lived and died in the same little part of North Perthshire. It's not a clan by itself, it's a dependent sept of the MacPhersons and member of Clan Chattan. But other than getting a wee buzz (and a little proud too) in seeing my own family name and tartan when they appear now and again, I don't have strong feelings of clanship or deference to the clans 'upstairs' or pay loyalty fees for some castle's upkeep !

3. Yes - but I've lost it, it's in some cardboard box in the store-room somewhere. I've knackered it anyway - I tried to iron the pleats one day to make the creases sharp and smartly flush with each other, but it came out funny and all the pleats curved outward.

4. A kilt can be worn on pretty much for most occasions clothing is worn !

5. The good, the bad and the ugly. When it's done well with good wool material and workmanship, it looks great and will last years (avoid repeating my answer 3 above), but when its cheap polyester or suchlike, specially printed with eg a St Andrew's Cross all around it and hanging in a tourist shop display, it makes me shudder with embarrassment.