Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

Orr Family-Is it a Sept? and of what clan?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2000, 03:31

Question

My grandfather's name is Orr and he is from Scotland. I think he said he was from Dal Melington or some such place. I've been told by family memebers that we are part of the Wallace clan through my great grandmother. I don't know how the clan lines work but we have Clark, Orr, Wallace, Barton in our family lines. My father is a Hemphill and my mother is an Orr. Am I just an American? or can I claim some ancestral clan relationship?
Jonathan
Old 3rd July 2000, 19:50

Talking

Greetings: Clanship may be claimed by either paternal or maternal lines. In your case, both deserves your research. Black's "Surnames of Scotland" says that Hemphill is from a locality of that name near Galson, Ayrshire in the southwestern region of Scotland. There is a Robert Hemphill listed as having a debt due to him in 1689 and another Robert Hemphill appears in Stewartoune in 1704. Hemphill is listed as a sept of Clan Cunningham in Phil Smith's "A tartan for Me!". Orr is also a notable name. I believe Sheena Easton's real name is Orr. There is also a very popular march for the bagpipe named for Capt. Norman Orr Ewing. Orr is listed as a sept of both Clans Campbell and MacGregor.
Mac

Old 4th July 2000, 19:59

Talking

Thanks MacChili,
One thing that you might be able to give me some clarification on is that my mother's side has always claimed Wallace as their clan affiliation. Could this be because me grandfather chose his mother's clan to affiliate with? Does that mean that I could as well or should I affiliate with one of these: Cunningham, MacGregor, and Campbell. Is multiple clan membership allowed? I actually thought that clan chiefs in Scotland did not want Americans to be claiming clan membership since we were Yanks now. I've alweays been very interested in my heritage and as it is my Grandfather Orr's 100th birthday this year, I'm even more interested now.
Thanks
Jonathan
Old 7th July 2000, 13:14
Jarmine

Talking

I dont know the official feeling towards clan membership but no one can deny your descendancy from these clans.
What I have a problem with is people saying they are Scottish when their ancestors went to the US back in the days of the highland clearances!

Old 7th July 2000, 15:42

Question

Am I Scottish? My grandfather came over when he was 20 and my grandmother came over when she was 2. My mom never lived there and my dad's side? Well, they probably came over 2 generations back. Still don't know if I can claim to be a Wallace or not. Help is appreciated...
Old 8th July 2000, 01:54
Jarmine

Talking

What's with the "just American" in your first post?
I feel it is the right of everyone to be proud of the country in which they were born and to accept that they are descendants of another country, claim heritage of another country BUT NEVER dismiss the country of birth.
Old 8th July 2000, 18:20

Talking

Thanks for the reminder about loyalty to the good ol' USA. But actually I was using "just" in terms of exclusivity. In other words "Am I solely an American" or "Am I an American and not anything else." I was not minimizing the importance of my land of birth. But it is a heads up on how people can misinterpret what you write. Thanks.
Jonathan