Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

Clan Henderson

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.86 average. Display Modes
Old 12th April 2000, 06:15

Send a message via ICQ to cdn_highlandr
Question

Good Evening to ya everyone. I'm just curious how many othe Hendersons are out there. My family is originally from Peterhead but immigrated to Canada in the lates 1800's. So let's here from all my clansmen or clanswomen for that matter.

Jeffrey
Old 15th April 2000, 02:24

Talking

Henderson

Many of the Henderson are septs to the following clans: Gunn and MacDonald of Glencoe. There are three origins to this name form opposite ends of the kingdom: 1) Henderson of the Boarders. William Henderson was chamberlain of Lochmaben Castle around 1374. From Dumfriessshire the family spread across into Liddesdale, but they do not appear in the list of border clans. From the Dumfriesshire family descended James Henderson , who Lord Advocate around 1494. The castle is no longer in Henderson hands. The most prominent of the Hendersons of Fordell was Alexander Henderson, who was born around 1583. He was educated at the University of St. Andrews where he became a Master of Arts and Professor of Philosophy.

Thomas Henderson of Dundee became one of the most famous astronomers in the 19th century.

2) The Henderson in the north of the country lived in Glencoe, and took the English version of their name from the Gaelic Maceanruig, claiming to descend from the Pictish prince, Eanruig Mor Mac Righ Neachtain, or 'big Henry son of King Neachtian'.

3) In the far North the name Henderson arises again, but from a different source. Hendry, one of the younger sons of a 15th century chief of Clan Gunn, hereditary crowners of Caithness, formed his own sept, which took his name.

[This message has been edited by Celto (edited 14 April 2000).]
Old 18th May 2000, 17:22

Talking

Maiden name was Henderson born in Edinburgh, moved to the USA when I was 2. Visit with my family in Fife ocassionally. Want to stay in touch.
Old 4th June 2001, 19:27

Cool Clan Henderson

I am Wanda Henderson. I am relatively new to the whole Clan, Family, Geneology trace, etc. But I do know that my Grandfather was born in Indian Territory in 1901, (Oklahoma,USA) Prior to that, I don't know much except that there are the " stories" that have been passed down about being Scottish warriors, etc. I am proud of my Scottish roots, and I am excited to know that there are at least 2800 members in the Clan Henderson Society of North America and Canada. I am a new member myself and therefore have the luxury of a Clan Geneologist. If anyone is interested, let me know and if there is any other information, pass it along to!!!
Old 12th June 2001, 17:57

Henderson's

I am a decendant of Robert and Jane Henderson. Robert Henderson was born at Garvald Maines, Haddington Shire, Scotland on December 16,1814 and died near Goodland,Indiana on November 7,1891. If you are related please respond.
Old 14th June 2001, 19:13

Smile Henderson

I do not know if I am related or not, but Hey, that's OK by me! I can stil be a cousin!
Old 6th July 2001, 10:27

Question Hendersons

I do not know if I am related to any of the above but there must be some distant connection if we all have the same name.

I do not know much about my family farther back than my Grandparents, who as far as I know always stayed in the UK. Once I find out more I will post it here. If anybody can assist me in tracing my family tree I would appreciate it!