Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

Clan Henderson

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.86 average. Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2006, 05:58

Hi there, my name is Stuart Henderson I was born in Dumfries, as was my mother. My Gran Agnes Henderson was born in Westerly, Rhode Island after her parents moved there in the early 1900's from Dalbeattie, Dumfrieshire - My great Grandfather (Samuel Henderson) died there and my great Grandmother moved back to Dalbeattie afterwards and married his brother (a bit dodgy if you ask me). My Gran also had a brother who stayed in the USA and is buried in Vermont in a military graveyard. My Mum and Myself went over on holiday a few years back to try and Find my Great Grandfathers grave, unfortunately we had no luck - however we did find a grave in Westerly, which according to the records belonged to my grans brother who died as a baby. As far as I know my great great gradparents also come from Dumfries and Galloway - further back than that I have no idea I'm afraid. Thats my tuppenceworth

Stuart
Old 18th August 2006, 16:55

Related

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchoo
Hi there. Hope you get this message. I started doing some research yesterday and just happened across your post. I have a booklet compiled in 1960 which has the information you quoted in it. Robert and Jane Phillips Henderson would be my maternal great, great, great-grandparents.
Like you I was doing other research and came across your entry. Robert and Jane are my maternal great great grandparents. I am descended from one of the two daughters (Mary Henderson Shiells) who remained in Scotland while the others emigrated to Indiana. I have the booklet, in fact, my mother contributed information to the booklet at the time. Hope we can connect.
Old 1st October 2009, 00:30

Smile Seeking Family

My Grandfather James Cruickshank Henderson was born 24 March 1887 in Fyvie
Scotland. He sailed for the United States arriving there May 11, 1906.
I am looking for kinfolk or anyone with knowledge of him and his family.
James C. Hnederson
Old 12th October 2009, 12:34

I do a lot of genealogy, and I've just discovered that one of my ancestors on my dad's side might have been a Mary Henderson--but I need to do lots more research before I'm sure about that!

But if Henry/Hendry ancestry counts, I have tons of that, lol! In fact two different families intermarried way back (a Jane Henry married a William Henry, so her maiden name and her married name were identical! ) so I can tell you, sorting out all these Henrys can be horribly confusing--esp. since they all seemed to love the same given names! That was so common they even had to be given nicknames to tell them all apart!

One of my Henry/Hendry lines for certain came from the Isle of Arran--the other was definitely Scottish, but their origins are less certain. We think they probably came from the area around Glencoe, Scotland--that's what family lore says anyway.

Anyway--hello!

Oh, and someone asked if being named Henderson automatically makes one a "clan member"--as far as I know, it does! Altho to join one of the clan societies, you may have to pay dues, but you "belong" simply by the fact of your descent from whatever clan.
Old 15th March 2010, 23:01

Henderson Clan

My mother and her family are Hendersons. My fathers family are Smiley's and Garvers. I'm new to the geneology and this clan thing. But thought I would get started.
Old 18th June 2010, 00:40
Quarantined Users

I'm not a Henderson, but I am a Henderson descendant. My great, great, great grandmother was Mary Jane Henderson, who married David Alexander. She was the daughter of George W. Henderson and Mary Smith of Cobb Co., Georgia; a granddaughter of Samuel Henderson, and a great granddaughter of Archibald Henderson who was born in the 1700's in South Carolina.

We used Henderson as a middle name for my youngest son, born 4th November, 2009.
Old 6th July 2010, 05:13

Hi there! It is so hard to find someone where a family tree links up. I can go back to John Henderson who was born in 1787, married Elizabeth Mortlock in 1809. I have a bit of a list of following children on my original post if you wanted to have a browse and see if any names match up. Good Luck