Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

Clan Henderson

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.86 average. Display Modes
Old 9th July 2001, 12:53

My Grandparents were John Henderson and Margaret Henderson (nee Whetley) John was born in 1919 and Margaret in 1920. They stayed in Inverkeithing with their kids. 3 sons and 2 daughters.
Old 9th July 2001, 23:38

Thumbs up Hendersons

Claire is my daughter. My mother's maiden name was Wheatley (her spellings terrible). My father and mother lived in Inverkeithing until they died - mum in 82 and dad in 89. My grandparents were John and Agnes Henderson who also lived in Inverkeithing (Spittalfield). Anyone who can add info - please do. My father had two brothers and three sisters, Cathy(deceased), Annie, Nessie(deceased), Willie (deceased) and David (deceased)
Old 27th January 2002, 06:45

are you by default a member of the clan if your last name is Henderson
Old 4th April 2004, 19:51

Re: Hendersons

Quote:
Originally posted by 10147
Claire is my daughter. My mother's maiden name was Wheatley (her spellings terrible). My father and mother lived in Inverkeithing until they died - mum in 82 and dad in 89. My grandparents were John and Agnes Henderson who also lived in Inverkeithing (Spittalfield). Anyone who can add info - please do. My father had two brothers and three sisters, Cathy(deceased), Annie, Nessie(deceased), Willie (deceased) and David (deceased)
In reply to your message, my name is beverley jeffery, from the Isle of wight my father james barclay henderson is first cousin to annie and nessie henderson. My father was born in inverkeithing in scotland my grandmothers name was helen barclay henderson and my grandfather was william henderson.Looking forward to any replies to my message date of this massage 04/04/04 my e mail address if anyone would like to contact me is peterjeffery@wight356.net
Old 16th March 2005, 03:17

hello
my maiden name is Henderson. i know that my father and grandfather are both born in the usa. i would like to know more about the Henderson clan society. any information would be much appreciated! thanks
Old 16th March 2005, 09:51

Hello
The following information was taken from http://www.electricscotland.com Another good, Scottish-based site is http://www.rampantscotland.com There may well be lots more info on the Hendersons on both sites.

The name Henderson or MacKendrick (Henry's son) is the same as Henryson or in Gaelic MacEanruig. The legendry ancestor of the Hendersons is Eanruig Mor Mac Righ Neachtan "Big Henry, son of King Nectan", said to be a Pictish King who reigned from A.D. 700 to 720. Unfortunately, it is impossible to substantiate this claim and it is more probable that the clan is descended from one Dughald MacEanruig who flourished in the 1300's. The principal family came from Glencoe, and were hereditary pipers to Clan Abrach. However, the male line came to an end when the heiress of Clan MacEanruig married into the MacDonalds of Glencoe through Iain Abrach of the MacIains of Glencoe. This clan of MacIain is long remembered as being the clan who was massacred at Glencoe in 1692. Another branch of the Hendersons in the north was a sept of Clan Gunn descending from Henry, a son of the chief George Gunn who was coroner of Caithness. There were also Hendersons of Fordell who resided at Fordell Castle near Inverkeithing in Fife. The castle was built in the 16th Century after the lands were acquired by James Henderson in 1511. The most distinguished of this branch was Alexander Henderson, leader of the Reformation who, with Archibald Johnstone, drew up the historic National Covenant of protest in 1638. This branch of the Hendersons is now the chiefly line although the present-day chief no longer lives in Scotland but in Queensland Australia.

Old 10th April 2006, 23:37

We're related!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHendrick
I am a decendant of Robert and Jane Henderson. Robert Henderson was born at Garvald Maines, Haddington Shire, Scotland on December 16,1814 and died near Goodland,Indiana on November 7,1891. If you are related please respond.

Hi there. Hope you get this message. I started doing some research yesterday and just happened across your post. I have a booklet compiled in 1960 which has the information you quoted in it. Robert and Jane Phillips Henderson would be my maternal great, great, great-grandparents.