Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

Clan Chiefs

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12th July 2009, 04:07

Clan Chiefs

In a publicity thing re Homecoming in Edinburgh, it was said that one even t would be to give folk a chance to meet their Clan Chiefs. The only ones I hear of are those in America by and large.

How does one find out about Clan Chiefs for one's own Clan or Clans? I've just recently read that the last Clan Chief for Clan Craig died some years ago with no heir so there is now no Clan Craig Chief. I wonder if Clan Orr is any better off?

Both mine are Ayrshire.

Anyone?

James.
That take our breath away.
Old 12th July 2009, 13:49

As you rightly say, many of the clan chiefs are foreigners, with little or no links to Scotland nowadays.

If you want to get info re clans and septs - try Rampant Scotland Directory or Electric Scotland is all about the history of Scotland and the Scots. The first site is still based in Scotland, the second has upped sticks and settled in North America (not sure which country!) - Both sites make it plain that they publish stuff directly from members of the public - they do not verify any of the information. Caveat emptor should be applied.
Please do not assume that any underlined links in my posts are MY recommendations. They are not. It is this American site taking advantage of members' posts about Scotland to boost their advertising revenue.
Old 14th July 2009, 03:14

Cheers for that - I subscribe to E S yet never get round to 'reading it' - kind of a waste perhaps. Always think if I stop it I'll miss something - but then I still need to read it, right?
That take our breath away.
Old 14th July 2009, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMac View Post
Cheers for that - I subscribe to E S yet never get round to 'reading it' - kind of a waste perhaps. Always think if I stop it I'll miss something - but then I still need to read it, right?
It used to be a reasonable site many years ago - but having read lots of the submitted stuff - those days are long gone. Some of the rubbish that they publish makes my eyes water...
Please do not assume that any underlined links in my posts are MY recommendations. They are not. It is this American site taking advantage of members' posts about Scotland to boost their advertising revenue.