Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

Alexander clan stories

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11th August 2008, 15:53

Alexander clan stories

Hello!

I have been researching my mothers side of the family (Alexander) lately and found some great info. I've found out about the origins of the name and where in Scotland we come from and such, and managed to trace her relatives back to 1819 when they came to Canada from Scotland and Ireland. But what i haven't been able to find are any sort of stories of the people of the family/clan. All i have really found is the bare minimum facts of the name being stated. Records of sorts. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me find some stories of the family to help put a more personal note to the research.
Old 11th August 2008, 20:01

I don't have any Alexanders in my family - well, I DO, but not as a surname.
You could try GenForum - Home or Rampant Scotland Directory
Old 16th October 2008, 19:06

Cool Family Lure

Finding stories or family folk lure can and is extremenly difficult unless there are still members of the family living that can tell you the stories -- I was lucky and found one piece of lure that tells of an ancestors home being built over night by supernatual means and that the house seat that still exist is a favorite haunt of the faery. But that is the only piece that i have ever found
Old 12th May 2011, 04:04

Alexander Clan Stories

My mother's side of the family is Alexander from Scotland and Ireland. I have our family tree that goes all the way back to Somerled, Lord of the Isles and thane of Argyle. HeMarried Effrida, daughter of the king of hte Isle of Man and had 4 children. The second son Ranold had to sons, Donald and Roderick. Donald had three sons--Roderick, Angus and Alexander. Angus had a son named Alexander, who in 1284, became Lord of the Isles. He was hostile to Robert Bruce, who besieged and captured him. He died in captivity. It seems, however, that Alexander, the younger brother of Angus, was friendly to Bruce, and in 1306 sheltered the Scottish hero in his castle at Dunavertie, a stronghold in the southern extremity of Kintyre; that John, Alexander's grandson, married Margaret, the granddaughter of Bruce and daughter of Rober II, and that their grandson, Alexander of Lochabee, born about the year 1430, in the reign of James I of Scotland, became the real founder of the house of Alexander.
Old 12th July 2011, 09:01

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischieftech View Post
Hello!

I have been researching my mothers side of the family (Alexander) lately and found some great info. I've found out about the origins of the name and where in Scotland we come from and such, and managed to trace her relatives back to 1819 when they came to Canada from Scotland and Ireland. But what i haven't been able to find are any sort of stories of the people of the family/clan. All i have really found is the bare minimum facts of the name being stated. Records of sorts. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me find some stories of the family to help put a more personal note to the research.
There were a lot of Alexanders in Campbelltown in Kintyre and it looks like they came over from Renfrewshire to work the land. One decendant was a shoemaker and a lot of the males of one generation emigrated to New Zealand. I traced my family of Alexanders back to 1735
Old 12th July 2011, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ050 View Post
My mother's side of the family is Alexander from Scotland and Ireland. I have our family tree that goes all the way back to Somerled, Lord of the Isles and thane of Argyle. HeMarried Effrida, daughter of the king of hte Isle of Man and had 4 children. The second son Ranold had to sons, Donald and Roderick. Donald had three sons--Roderick, Angus and Alexander. Angus had a son named Alexander, who in 1284, became Lord of the Isles. He was hostile to Robert Bruce, who besieged and captured him. He died in captivity. It seems, however, that Alexander, the younger brother of Angus, was friendly to Bruce, and in 1306 sheltered the Scottish hero in his castle at Dunavertie, a stronghold in the southern extremity of Kintyre; that John, Alexander's grandson, married Margaret, the granddaughter of Bruce and daughter of Rober II, and that their grandson, Alexander of Lochabee, born about the year 1430, in the reign of James I of Scotland, became the real founder of the house of Alexander.
I have several generations of my family Alexander who are all named Alexander Alexander I wonder if we are related. I Haven't got any further back yet than 1735.
Old 12th July 2011, 10:40
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Alexander View Post
There were a lot of Alexanders in Campbelltown in Kintyre and it looks like they came over from Renfrewshire to work the land. One decendant was a shoemaker and a lot of the males of one generation emigrated to New Zealand. I traced my family of Alexanders back to 1735
The same happened with my Grant ancestors .
They came in ones and twos to Dunedin . The last , the youngest , came out with their Dad , after their Mum died .
Only the oldest , having already left home years before stayed in Scotland . Strangely , his children migrated out here too , to Auckland. All bar the eldest who had already migrated to Canada ....
I met my Canadian cousin here in Christchurch last year