Notices

Bell and mcmillian

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th October 2004, 00:44

Lightbulb

whats the realtion between the bell clan and the macmillan clan
Old 20th October 2004, 09:41

Hello
Bell is claimed as a sept by Clan MacMillan.
Old 20th October 2004, 15:10

So in other words clan bell is branched off from Macmillan
Old 20th October 2004, 15:49

No, not quite.

This is part of an explanation on what is a sept etc which was taken from http://www.electricscotland.com Another good site, also based in Scotland, is http://www.rampantscotland.com
Both sites have lots of information on clans, septs and other Scots matters such as history etc.

"The variety of surnames within a Scottish clan do not represent separate and definable sub-clans but instead reflect the vagaries of transition of the Gaels into the English naming system as well as marriages, migrations and occupations. The main family itself may have developed a variety of surnames. The preferred modern usage is to avoid the use of the term "sept" and to simply describe these names as what thay are - surnames of the family and of allied or dependent families. It is preferable to speak of "The names and families of Clan X" rather to call a name "a sept of Clan X". "Sept" is actually a term borrowed from Irish culture in the nineteenth century to explain the use of a variety of surnames by members of a single clan. Where Scots would say "MacGregor and his clan" and Irish historian might say "O'Neill and his sept".

Old 28th October 2004, 17:37

I'm researching my family tree at the moment and part of with me being a bell i found that the bells are a sept of the mcmillan clan. Up until yesterday i didn't know that there was such a thing as a bell tartan.
Old 30th October 2004, 00:10

Quote:
Originally posted by Christian1
I'm researching my family tree at the moment and part of with me being a bell i found that the bells are a sept of the mcmillan clan. Up until yesterday i didn't know that there was such a thing as a bell tartan.
There's actually three.

"Bell of the Borders" in blue is the most common one.

The MacMillan-Bell link is actually quite dubious if you're from Border roots.
Old 10th February 2005, 06:11

my 2 bucks....

I'am a Bell and proud of it even tho I'am Canadian born.
This is the same post as I posted before cuz I did not want to type anything else again. lol

It is difficult to find out anything about the Bell Clan. I did find however that Bells ARE actually Scottish Clan and there where border reviers (sp) which means that they rode the border between Scotland and England. They are one of the Devils Dozen too which mean't that they where an unruly clan. LOL... when my dad found that out he said and I quote " well that explains you" umm ok lol.. I replied " I come from YOU apparently so don't go pointing fingers" hahaha... anyway

They have their own clan BTW. They also have a couple of tartans. From what I know they do not accept the fact that they are an offshoot of the MacMillans but this is left to speculation. I really dont believe we are. I think there where marriages that happened and that is what started this whole thing. But that is my opinion.

Anywhoo I wanted to get my 2 bucks into this.

Cheers