Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

Help with the name of Caldwell

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 6th September 2004, 03:29

Many years ago, my father told me that the Caldwell family were Scot-Irish. When I asked him what that meant, he didn't know. It was many years later that I found out that many families from Scotland had come to the USA by way of Ireland.
My question is, Does anyone know anything about the name of Caldwell in Scotland? How common is the name? From Which Clan could it have originated?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Joe
Old 6th September 2004, 20:38

There was a clan Caldwell just south of glasgow, Scotland

The History of the clan

Due to the name deriving from the old English for 'cold stream', it is difficult to specify definite territorial origin for it, however there are records for the name in lands in Renfrewshire, and the line is believed to have stopped at a John Cladwell who was a commissioner in Renfrewshire. A William de Caldwell is listed as ahving land holdings in 1342. Castle Caldwell, in County Fermanagh in Ulster, was bought by a family branch when they emigrated, and Sir James Caldwell fought for William of Orange in Donegal in 1690. The Caldwell name was also taken to the Americas, and Caldwell, New Jersey was the birth place of Grover Cleveland in 1837, who became a President of the United States. Also in America, Erskine Caldwell, who died in 1987 was one of the country's greatest novelists.

hope this helps a bit

Marhar
Old 8th September 2004, 04:03

Thanks Marhar,
I really do appreciate the information. I will continue to research the clan Caldwell. Hopefully, someday, before I am too old and feeble, I will be able to actually see the country of Scotland !
Thanks again,
Joe
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:33

Caldwells in Scotland

There's a lot of info about the roots of Caldwell on this site: CaldwellGenealogy.com

You can read a piece I wrote about my family's history and Scotland here: Scotland: The Place of Caldwell | Matador

John
Old 21st April 2013, 11:14

Caldwell Here!!!

My Great Grandmother is a Caldwell as well...I just recently did some DNA testing that proved Scot-Irish. The only thing that I'm trying to figure out now is the history behind the DNA, because I am also British....of everything that I have read, it is a question of what came first, the cart or the horse???? I am fascinated to find out more about my Caldwell side, whatever that may bring, I do feel stronger ties to the Scot/Irish side however, but can't really say why...I was so excited to find this site and hopefully more about my ancestry.
Old 3rd November 2013, 17:56

Putting the info out there just in case

My 3 times great-grandmother was a Nancy Caldwell. She married Simpson Walker Montgomery. They were in Beaver and Crawford Co PA with a lot of other Scotch-Irish. Simpson and Nancy gave their boys middle names of: Kinney, Caldwell, Elliot and Walker. The younger sons went to Illinois and Nancy Caldwell Montgomery is buried there.

I have followed the sons' middle names trying to track back farther than Simpson and Nancy. Sometimes it feels as though I'm tantalizingly close, but so far no luck.
Old 3rd November 2013, 19:10
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javashan1 View Post
My Great Grandmother is a Caldwell as well...I just recently did some DNA testing that proved Scot-Irish. The only thing that I'm trying to figure out now is the history behind the DNA, because I am also British....of everything that I have read, it is a question of what came first, the cart or the horse???? I am fascinated to find out more about my Caldwell side, whatever that may bring, I do feel stronger ties to the Scot/Irish side however, but can't really say why...I was so excited to find this site and hopefully more about my ancestry.
Scots are British , and for a long period of time , Irish were to , some still are .

Perhaps you made a mistake common to many North Americans and equated British with English .
Until you sort that one out in your head , nothing will make sense .