Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

Are You a Munro?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th February 2010, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadGod View Post
Well actually I am interested. Do you have any Alexander Munros in your family tree ?
No. I'm afraid not.

I have Hector, Samuel, Robert, George,John, Isabella , Catherine & Mary --born to parents Barbara Ross (born Cromarty) & Hector Munro between 1788 and 1807. Hector was described on the baptismal records of some of his children as being a mason in Miltown/Milton & Tullich. The place names Kilmuir Easter & Dingwall are the ones mentioned in records.

If any of this is familiar maybe you'd like to pm me and I can give you more details, but as you ask about an Alexander who never crops up down the line, we seem to have different familes!
Old 28th February 2010, 15:29

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie m View Post
Guys, a good site for getting a handle on your "Roots" is scotfamtree it's a non- profitmaking site, the sub's are ploughed back into purchasing records etc' I believe the current sub' is 10 a year and you can ask as many questions as you like. join as a free member first and see what you think.
wullie m.
Thanks for this Wullie M --will head there--I have Ballantynes too so may find a few more of them as well as Munros
Old 28th February 2010, 18:10

Very Friendly Site Fellwalker, I have folk from Kilmuir Easter myself, but mainly Mackenzies, from an Andrew Mackenzie X Christian Ross,
wullie m.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadGod View Post
Well actually I am interested. Do you have any Alexander Munros in your family tree ?
doesn't everyone with a munro have an alexander???
I have at least 4 !
Old 18th June 2010, 15:31

Alexander Munros

Yes,

Alexander is a verypopular name amongst Munros. In my family my 4th great-grandfather was Alexander Munro, my 2nd great-grandfather was Alexander Munro and my grandfather was Alexander Munro.

Just in case theres any connection with any of you above. My 4th great grandfather Alexander Munro was a carpenter and Inn keeper in Armadale, Farr , Sutherland. He was married to Barbara Mackay. They had 7 sons. One of the sons, Donald Munro went to Aaustrlia, his son James was 15th Premier of Victoria. There are lots of Alexanders in the Austrlian line. Any Munro relations out there ?
Old 18th June 2010, 18:34

I seem to be the exception to the Alexander "rule"! No sign of an Alexander anywhere
My Munros came from Kilmuir Easter--Hector Munro married a Ross --I do have dates!- then my g g grandfather Samuel Munro lived in Dingwall-- then great grandfather Robert Ross Munro moved down to Liverpool-I haven't been able to find out so far what happened to the siblings who stayed in Scotland
Old 19th June 2010, 04:38

Munros & Ross'

My Munros are from north eastern scotland, names that come to mind are fodderty, strathpeffer, kiltearn & saltburn near invergordon.
I have Ross' too from slightly further east, saltburn, tarbat & fearn.

Just to add to the fun, they all seemed to marry each other, munro to ross, ross to ross, ross to munro

I don't know of any of my relatives that came to australia, but if anyone wants to email me bout the scot ones: findingfamily@westnet.com.au
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Munro Alexander, Elspet, Alice 1899.jpg (99.5 KB, 189 views)