Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

Origin of McCullough surname

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2004, 13:28

For a friend I'm researching the origin of the surname McCullough.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 22nd May 2004, 13:40

Hello there!

MacCullough or McCulloch or many varieties of spellings is similar to Kennedy in that it is both a Scots and an Irish name. The histories are different - but here's some info from the http://www.electricscotland.com site. But your friend should verify the information they post, as they freely admit they accept information posted by contributors without checking or validating facts.

Your friend may be Irish in background, and in which case, he may need to do some digging

From Electricscotland

The MacCulloch's of Myreton lived in southern Scotland overlooking Luce Bay. Myreton is in southwest Scotland along the coast. Across the bay from Myreton lies another MacCulloch region related to Ardwell. King Robert DeBruce of Scotland knighted Captain Cullo O'Neil and chose him to be his standard-barrer and Secretary of State around 1317. He gave Sir Cullo O'Neil lands in Lorn, Myreton, and Achawan which encompass Killerar and Ardwell in Gallaway. Sir Cullo O'Neil died in 1331 and left his estate of Myreton and other lands in Galloway to his eldest son Sir Godfrey, who assumed the surname of McCullo.

MACCULLOCH: Three differing origins can be traced for the name in Scotland of whom the earliest would appear to be the lineages found in Galloway. The progenitor of this race is lost in antiquity and it is not until the 13th century that we have a positive record of the name. The first noted swore fealty to Edward I of England c.1296, and this lineage held the lands of Torhouse, Myreton and Ardwell in Galloway until, in 1682, Sir Godfrey Macculloch, through imprudence, was obliged to sell his inheritance and live in reduced circumstances. Following a fatal fight over some cattle with a Gordon neighbour he fled the country for a time, but returned, only to be apprehended and executed in 1697. A family, of different origin, were established in Easter Ross by the 14th century, where they are first noted as followers of the Earl of Ross, de jure 'Lord of the Isles', on whose forfeiture in 1493 they aligned themselves with the Munros - in whose cause they almost suffered oblivion at the battle of 'Druim-a-chait'. The family had considerable tenure of lands around Tain, of which town they held an almost hereditary post of Provost. Their principal designation 'of Plaidis' was held until John Macculloch, Provost of Tain, acquired the lands of Kindeace from Munro of Culnald in 1612, whereafter they became 'of Kindeace'. Other lands held by the Maccullochs in Easter Ross included Piltoun, Mulderg and Easter Drumm, the latter coming into their possession in 1649. A third 'clan' of Maccullochs inhabited lands in the vicinity of Oban, and the island of Kerrara, on the West coast of Argyll, where Macculloch of Colgin was long recognised as representer of his line who were said to be descended from a race of MacLulichs who had inhabited Benderloch under the patronage of the Macdougals. That various Maccullochs allied themselves with other clans is undoubted but, given their individual land holdings, they no doubt held themselves to be the equal of any. Apart from not having a chief, there is no recognised MacCulloch tartan so those looking for an appropriate tartan may choose from the following: MacDougall, Ross, Munro or even the District of Galloway.
Old 22nd May 2004, 13:56

Thank you, Polwarth, for a pretty comprehensive reply. Yes, I've advised my friend to get details of her ancestors' birth, marriage and death certificates, andtry to establish her family tree, rather than just say "I'm a McCullough, therefore anything relating to McCullough must relate to me". But, she is getting excited at what we've turned up so far about McCullough in general, and that will spur her on to the family tree search, I'm sure.
Again, thanks a lot.
Old 22nd May 2004, 20:44

Smile

Actually in scotland MacCullough is the modern rendering of MacLulich and although there may me MacCulloughs from Ireland I cannot find one reference in any of the Irish Annals of the name Lulich. In fact the only reference to the name I am aware of is Lulich or Lulach son of Gillecoimgan Mormaer of Moray, who was also the son of Queen Gruoch (Lady MacBeth) and stepson of MacBeth. Lulach briefly became King of Scots before his death in 1029. This Lulach had descendents through his daughter who were strong in Fife and Moray. The surname of the principal Moray clan was MacKay but obviously many would take other names from their ancesters and MacCullough would be a popular one. The province of Ross is North Moray.

The Irish MacCulloughs probably have a totally differant ancestry. Ulster was originally a quite seperate kingdom with a differant ethnic background to the rest of the Irish. One of the principal totem animals of the Ulster tribes was the wolf or wolfhound. In Irish this name was rendered as 'Cu', hence the famous Ulster hero Cuchulain (wolfhound of Cullen). A popular name for the Kings of Ulster was CuUlaid (Hound of Ulster). MacCuUlaid would sound to English ears like MacCullough.
Old 23rd May 2004, 03:14

Thank you, DenzilMagnus, for adding to what I'm gathering here.
I had read some of what is in your final paragraph about "the hound of Ulster" previously. The rest is new to me.
Thanks a lot, and may you enjoy thiswebsite as much as I do.
Old 24th May 2004, 23:50

McCulloch

My great great grandfather was a McCulloch from Belfast, I am researching my family tree and the name McCulloch is a tricky one....there are so many different spellings and as other members have said, some from Ireland, some from Scotland or as in my case, Irish McCullochs who moved to Scotland!
Old 27th May 2004, 06:38

Thank you, Blue_Skye. I've given the information gathered so far to my friend. Her sister has now asked for all websites I've recorded for genealogy, Scottish andIrish stuff etc. So, there starts another nut into researching McCullough/McCulloch.
You will have noticed that I'm back on line. I've met a computer whiz who has fixed my machine and modem so that I'm able to use my own machine again. Unfortunately, I gave the wrong hotmail address recently, and as a result I may have lost some recent inwards mail. I gave David_MargaretPaterson@hotmail.com. The "David" should have been "Dave". But, I'm able to use tkr0013@iconz.co.nz again, anyway.