Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

McCracken, Wondering if name has any meaning, notoriety? Plz read

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2004, 00:42

Interesting..

I believe I read that the other day, found it interesting... I get the whole concept, of Septs to a greater clan, and then all the different ways the name was spelt.. McCracken is my surname, naturally.. but for some reason, i have heard people call me McCrachin or whatever.. maybe just out of coincidence.. who knows. I am thinking of taking a trip to scotland sometime in future, wondering if there are archives there, that could help me track down my roots.. if i go to Scotland itself? And, is it known if there were a lot of surnames McCracken, (way back when) or McCrachin or whatever the persons surname is.. Were there naturally a lot of people with these names? All information is appriciated. Pol, No.. I did not direct that to be a stereotypical comment towards Scottish herritaged people.. However, what i did mean is, Scottish are not a dime a dozen, Usually found with a stubborn mentallity, Ego's larger than themselves, and witts as thick as steel is all i was implying.. I am very stubborn, and anyone else i know who has came from Scotland, naturally has similarities in circumstances with the way things are prefered to be done in ones mind.. Thanks !
Old 23rd March 2004, 00:49

The only way to 'prove' whether or not you are of Scots origin (apart from believing that your name is Scots) is -

Trace back your genealogy in the country to which you believe a Scot emigrated... in your case, Canada. When you get back to the first immigrant, then you should be able to find out how the immigrant entered Canada - ie from passengers' lists etc... From there you should be able to find out from which port he/she emigrated... that may, in turn, lead back to a specific area in Scotland - from where you might be able to find information from parish registers. There is no quick way, I'm afraid.

Sooo, you assume that ALL Scots are stubborn etc? That's no more true than thinking we all look alike

As for how many MacCrackens there might have been in days gone by... you would need to access Scottish censuses - it may give you clues. Personally, I have NEVER met anyone in scotland with that name, but obviously that does not mean there are NO MacCrackens around - just that it is no longer a common name (if it ever was!)
Old 2nd April 2004, 05:13

heh

heh thanks.. That should help somewhat, I'll take a mental note to trace back from whom immigrated to Canada.. I believe it was my grandfather.. he served in world war II, So I should ask my father.. Thanks for some info.. and I'm not sure if the name was common.. I'm only 18 years old, so your guess is probably better then mine.
Old 3rd April 2004, 20:43

Polwarth

Hi Polwarth,
I was wondering how you arrived at the username of Polwarth, as it is very close to my Chief Lord Polworth Chief of the sept of Clan Scott, Scott of Harden.

Cowdenknowes.
Old 3rd April 2004, 23:01

Hello
Polwarth is a village south of Edinburgh (my home town) and also a suburb of Edinburgh - where I owned my first flat.
Old 4th April 2004, 11:16

Polwarth

A'h now I understand, if you take the A6105 and head south west, you are only a short distance from my own stomping ground of Cowdenknowes, which is about one mile south of Earlston.

Polwarth.

"A parish in Berwickshire, of a triangular form, each side of which is about three miles in length. The soil is mostly clay, lying on a cold impervious tilly bed; but there is a considerable extent of gravelly and sandy soil. The greater part is inclosed. The principal crops are oats and barley, a few pease, and sometimes a little wheat. There are several extensive woods and plantations. The village of Polwarth, which contains about 200 inhabitants, is situated on a very wet and swampy piece of ground. In the middle of it are two old thorn trees, at about 6 yards distant from each other, around which it was formerly the custom for every new married pair, with their company, to dance in a ring: from hence the old song of 'Polwarth on the Green'. But this custom has fallen greatly into disuse. Population in 1801, 291.

I have never been there but I can imagine that it is very pretty, and as an added bonus in this location you are almost Borders.

Cowdenknowes.
Old 23rd October 2004, 06:16

mccrackencanada

I am a McCracken from utah. My great-great grandfather was John Mills, an ordained minister on 4-6-1871, exactly 100 years before my youngest childs birthday. It is ironic that my brother, Michael, was born 3-19-42, the date of your message (but not the year). My grandmother, Mary Mills, married Frank McCracken, whose father was from Scotland. I am here in Ogden UT. There are six Mike McCrackens in Henderson NV outside Las Vegas. I would be interested in finding out about the McCrackens for my geneology.