Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

Cook's in the Clan Stewart?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 8th August 2002, 20:52

Question

Ok, so I have looked at all the messages in the discussion loops. I have not seen anything to answer my questions. I actually have a couple of questions I am hoping that someone (preferably many people) can help me with.
First, I have seen 'Cook' in as a Sept of the Clan Stewart. But, only in one or two places, most don't put Cooks in any Clan. Is Cook in the Clans system or not?
Second and much more compicated.....
My Father grew up being taught that his line comes from the Clan Stewart of Atholl. His father has the badge of this clan in among his things. Now, saying this I have run into a problem, I have trace our family back now to the year 1674. The problem is that it goes back to England (Cheshire County to be exact), and the family is extremely tied to the Quakers Society. Peter Cook of Cheshire Co. came to America on the ship w/ tickets given to him by the Society of Friends (a Quaker society). Is it possible that farther back in time the Cook's I am attached to were in Scotland and were a sept of the Stewarts? I have read that the Cooks started in England tied to the the King once upon a time in some way.
In any case I am stuck in my searches to 1674, anybody who might read this that has anything past that I would love to hear from you. All the genealogist I've been talking to here who are related to my line are just as stuck as I am. They have no proof of anything past Peter and Elinor Cook. Peter b. 1674 and Elinor's maiden name was 'Norman'.

Thanks for reading this long winded question....

Can't wait to hear back from anybody!
Old 9th August 2002, 10:08

Hello

I have not heard that Cook was a specifically Scottish name, I believe that it is one that falls within the group of trades-type names eg Smith, Fletcher, Cooper - and I think it is agreed that these names were pretty common throughout the British Isles. So, unless you can find confirmation that your Cooks were Scots, who moved into England, it could be very difficult to 'prove' that the family were originally Scottish.

I am a Stewart of Appin, and I haven't heard that Cook was one of our septs, but I am the first to admit, I may be wrong - and I am sure the more knowledgeable amongst the posters here will be able to give you more information!

By the way we would say county of Cheshire, not Cheshire county

Good luck on your quest.
Old 9th August 2002, 13:06

Wink Stewart of Atholl

This clan is having the following septs:

Stewart of Atholl
Mac Glashan
MacGarrow
Gray
Grey
Larnach
Larnack
Conacher
Duilach
Crui(c)kshank(s)

So there is no "Cook" to be found as sept of this clan. It is not to be brought into line with any clan I know. So how is your father related to Clan Stewart of Appin. Could it be that the family member belonging to this clan was female and married into the Cook family changing her name into Cook? Give us some more info, if you have, maybe the solution is very simple, but until now I cannot find it, I am afraid.

Old 12th August 2002, 18:17

WOW you guys are good!
Thank you for such a quick response!

I knew it was probably farfetched. In doing my own research I just didn't get the feeling that there was a connection. However, I grew up thinking I was Scottish, and I love all things Scottish. I go to the Highland games near me every year. It is going to be hard to start thinking of myself as a Brit. I was looking forward to someday traveling to Scotland, and looking up the history first hand of "my clan".
What's strange is that I have seen "Cook" in among the septs of Stewart. I just can't remember what site I was looking at. It must have been like you said, a marriage into the Stewarts, or something like that.

Anyways, Thank you so much for your insight! I do enjoy reading the postings that you and your friends do. You have been a lot of help to a lot of people.

--Cook--
Old 12th August 2002, 18:29

Don't give up, Cook! There are so many possibilities. Keep on digging, sometimes it can take years to find out how things are connected. The tiniest trace you find, post it here and we will be here to help you, all right?

Big hug! There are many Scots named Smith, Miller or Hill. And they are all Scots, they even have a clan connection. So hope is not lost for you either!

Old 12th August 2002, 19:11

I know what you mean, I read about a guy who had been looking for information on his family for 25 years and he had only found back to an Uncle in 1905!! Now, I doupt that he had been working on it the whole time, but I understand that it takes patience! I have only been seriously working on research for about 8mos. now and I think that I have done pretty good. I have had a lot of help from relatives I have found on the web, from across the States.

I have one consulation, my Grandmothers maiden name is Munn. Which is a sept of the Clan Lamont! I have talked to the Clansmen at the games. My Mother will shortly be registered with them.

I have a couple of pages w/ heraldry from the Cooks:

http://home.earthlink.net/~donmiguel...k_heraldry.htm

and :

http://www.scotland.com/culture/tart...ages/cooke.gif

I guess they must be English instead of Scottish like I thought.

-- Cook

Old 13th August 2002, 01:09

Hello, Cook

I really wish you luck with finding out your family history on this side of the pond....

However, gonnae dae us a favour.... plase, do NOT refer to the English as Brits..... The British Isles consists of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.....

I take exception to the term Brits, which was introduced by the IRA to denigrate the English.... I am Scots, I live in the Britsh Isles....!