Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Clans

Notices

Cook's in the Clan Stewart?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th July 2010, 15:35

some evidence of Scottish Cooks in Nova Scotia

Hello, I am David Cook, Nova Scotia, Canada and I believe I have some evidence to indicate that some Cooks are Scots. In my case Ulster Scots, actually. My Cooks (William and wife Sidney Holmes) came to Nova Scotia in 1761 and had a land grant at Londonderry Township in Colchester County. They came with the McNutt Ulster Scot group and were Presbyterian. I have been searching for Cook connections in New England and have not found much despite the claims of an educated aunt. I have done the DNA test and have found direct connections in various places in the USA. There is to be a Cook / Staples reunion in the Truro, Nova Scotia in 2011. Interested?

Cheers,

David

Last edited by David Cook; 20th July 2010 at 15:38. Reason: spelling errors
Old 20th July 2010, 18:04

David, there are Scottish Cook's in "Black's Surnames" going back as far as 1147 in Berwick, a whole list of them, also MacCook in Arran & Skye, presumably Cookstown in Ulster has a connection. wullie m
Old 21st July 2010, 08:20
Quarantined Users

These Cooks get around

James Cook the Navigator (born in Cleveland in the North Riding of Yorkshire , England ) , was the son of a Scotsman , James Cook , who was born near Ednam in Scotland (who was the son of John Cook, a tailor) and was a farm labourer near Kelso in Roxburghshire , Scotland , before moving to England .

just thought I'd add that .

I wonder how the thread author got on in the quest
Old 4th August 2010, 16:51

Appin Cook/Cookes

I've also been told that my family name of Cooke is associated with the Appin Stewarts, although I haven't been able to confirm it. (The insight was provided by a distant and now-deceased relative.) Good luck with your research!

Brian Cooke
Old 23rd October 2010, 19:54

Send a message via Yahoo to TishaElf
Cook's in Arran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie m View Post
David, there are Scottish Cook's in "Black's Surnames" going back as far as 1147 in Berwick, a whole list of them, also MacCook in Arran & Skye, presumably Cookstown in Ulster has a connection. wullie m
i have traced the family to the cooks in arran. I was wondering what more you know.
Old 3rd November 2010, 05:59

Send a message via Yahoo to TishaElf
Cook inArran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaElf View Post
i have traced the family to the cooks in arran. I was wondering what more you know.
My Famiy of Cook were born in Arran and moved to England. I find it strange that in the records i read that listed an address, 1700 martin, Cleaveland Yorkshire England which i found to be near Steward Park. John Cook named his son James who was born about 1675. James VII/II began his reign 1685. So my gess is my ancessor was part of the royal regiem and did have a tie to the Stewart of Scotland and England.

I would love to learn anything that anyone would know about Arran and the Cooks and Stewarts.
Old 19th November 2013, 22:54

Cook in Canada seeking Cook lineage

My great grandfather worked for the Hudson's Bay Company in the 1900's after immigrating from the Orkney area for work in the end of the Fur trade era in the Americas. Is there a society in Scotland that has these records of who went abroad as an employee to the Hudson's bay area. There are many scot names in this region mixed with Cree ancestry as it was part of the policy to integrate in the culture at the time